M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have defective red-green color vision. It has absolutely no effect on my everyday life and I can handle colors just fine. I just can't pass the colored dot test.

I have an SWFA Super Sniper 10x42 scope on my M1A ($300 scope). Now don't laugh, here's what I see: When I use a Shoot-n-c target with a black bull and a red dot in the center, the red dot appears shifted down to the point it nearly touches the edge of the 10-ring. Clearly asymmetric! Now, the scope doesn't use ED glass and they do make a more expensive HD version but I was just wondering if there could be an index of refraction problem that is uncorrected in the basic model of the scope?

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

versus:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50717.aspx

Next time I am at the range, I will compare against another rifle that has a Leupold Mark 4.

So, is it me or is it possibly a lens issue? Anybody else on the planet ever run across this?

I searched over on the Optics forum and the issue doesn't appear to have been raised before. Hm... Maybe it's me!

Richard

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have just about the same problem with colors as you do. I have never passed the color test with the dots either. I have never shot at a shoot-n-c target but now I'm curious. I just had a nightforce mounted Saturday and hope to get to try it out later in the week or the weekend. I'll get some of those targets and report back.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hmm, I have issues with all the colors except black & white and can't even pass the practice portion of the color dot test.

Do you were corrective lenses? If so do you use them looking through the scope?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wear +1.50 reading glasses most of the time including while shooting. I have no prescription glasses.

From what I understand, a very significant portion of the adult male population has some defect with color vision. I imagine the severity of the condition varies.

Richard

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
When you wear glasses, when you look through the lens at any point other than the optical center of the lens you will get some shift in colors. IOW the light passing at an angle through the lens will split into colors like when passing through a prism- think Pink Floyd.

Most people when shooting a rifle end up looking through the upper inside corner of the lens of their glasses

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, that's another test I can make. I can simply use standard safety glasses and adjust the diopter on the scope. Or I can have my grandson see if the dot shifts for him.

The red dot is so far out of the center of the bull that I'm not really sure what to aim at. I have been using the mil reticle hash marks to center the bull as opposed to centering the dot in the cross hairs.

Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.