M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am about to start putting together my loadout for my M1A. (Plate Carrier, Mag Pouches, IFAK etc.) But I have a question. What color or type of camo should I use? I was thinking black simply because thats probably one of the most common and easy to find. I don't really like coyote brown that much. But there is a lot of it. And I am a Marine so I'm not thrilled about wearing Multicam, as much as I like it. (sorry Army dogs) I'm just trying to find a good basic color so that my gear doesn't look like a mix and match, patchwork loadout.

Thanks

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
If you don't like coyote brown, you can't go wrong with OD.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I don't go camo, just all OD. Pretty much any piece of gear you could want is available in OD. If you must use camo, and don't want to use Multicam, it may be difficult to find gear in other patterns, because if you don't want to look like an Army dog, you probably won't do ACU either. ATACS is becoming more available though.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
You live in Kansas, I'd think that winter wheat brown would work. DI5

Sorry, had to say that, I used to live in Kansas (Columbus and Wichita).

I never really worry about what camo pattern I use, I buy the equipment first and worry about the pattern later. Since I'm out in the Rockies, I use just about anything that will work well with predominately greens and dark colors.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah RAMMAC, that sounds about right for Wichita... I found a good Plate Carrier I like, but now I can't locate any of the mag pouches I am looking for. I'm trying to find a M14 mag pouch that will hold two stacked together. All I can find are singles or two next to each other.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you just need to carry stuff in a nice way, black is great. But if you think this might actually be used for real black is bad as it shows up very well in NVD's.

I'd recommend you look at something "green-ish", like smoke/sewer green or foliage green. If you ever need to change color just spraypaint it with paint that won't reflect ir-light and you're good to go. Krylon works well as does some specific spraypaints.
This can be washed off easily too.

The gray/green colors works pretty well in both green and brown'ish enviroments.

Here's a few suggestions:
http://www.hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-X2R-TACO&cat=34
Haven't tried this, but i will.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/pouches/ammo/7-62-308-single-mag-pouch
I've worked the 5.56 version extensively, love'em.

Edit: my bad, i realized you want one pouch for 2 magazines, maybe this one: http://www.hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-UMMPD&cat=34

HTH :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Go with tactical tailor, the gear is pretty much bomb proof and in a great variety of colors. they have a specific mag pouches for the m14 mags also the universal pouches work really well for two mags and also fit 3 ar mags. The pouches with the shock cord to secure the top of the mag also stack really well on top of each.

Tac tailor is the only kit I use, my kit has also survived multiple deployments, I'm sure that my gear is going to last many years more. Definitely worth the investment in my opinion.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I vote for ATACS and ATACS FG as far as camo colors, but for solids i vote Ranger green and coyote brown. I have found all of these to be extremely effective patterns and colors for blending in. I too am a Marine, and of course also love MARPAT, but MARPAT gear is few and far between.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Go with tactical tailor, the gear is pretty much bomb proof and in a great variety of colors.
Excellent gear. I live in a dry area, particularly in summer so I go with their coyote. Tactical Tailor have specials which are often worth waiting for.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Go with tactical tailor, the gear is pretty much bomb proof and in a great variety of colors. they have a specific mag pouches for the m14 mags also the universal pouches work really well for two mags and also fit 3 ar mags. The pouches with the shock cord to secure the top of the mag also stack really well on top of each.

Tac tailor is the only kit I use, my kit has also survived multiple deployments, I'm sure that my gear is going to last many years more. Definitely worth the investment in my opinion.
+1 on Tactical Tailor. Multiple deployments, no issues. They make great products!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I have it narrowed down to Black, Coyote Brown, and OD Green.

Okay here are the pro's:

Black for the availability and general darkness of the color (obvious).
Coyote Brown because I live in Kansas and 2/3 of the year things are pretty much brown, or brown with a little green.
OD Green because it blends in with a lot of things, and is the old school Marine color.

And the con's:

Black either blends in great or stands out horribly.
Coyote Brown, well I don't really have a con for it I am just weary because I feel its kinda overused because of all the stuff in the Middle East. So if I am being stupid about that just tell me.
OD Green might be a bit too "bright" as far as colors go, there is Foliage and Ranger Green but they are not that available.

Almost got it decided. Just need your thoughts on all this.

By the way thanks for all the links I think I have found what I am looking for I just need to narrow down the color.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, after thinking about it for a few more hours I am seriously leaning for Coyote Brown. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I did a study when I was searching for camo for hunting. I noticed the foliage around me was more of a brown than a green. It does get green here but it usually doesn't last and the foliage goes grey/brown.

With that information in hand, my tac gear is all coyote to help me blend in a semi-desert type environment.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kansas has brown Everywhere! Coyote brown it is!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would definitely go with the color that blends in best with your surroundings. If it is mostly brown in Kansas, I think you made a good choice with coyote. That's why I go OD - I live in the "Evergreen State!"

Of course, living so near to Portland, perhaps I would blend in better if I went with a rainbow pattern.......

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I woukd definitely go with the color that blends in best with your surroundings. If it is mostly brown in Kansas, I think you made a good choice with coyote. That's why I go OD - I live in the "Evergreen State!"

Of course, living so near to Portland, perhaps I would blend in better if I went with a rainbow pattern.......
That's why here in Wyoming...
I Go With All BLACK!
Looks just like A Coal Miner or "Oil Field Trash' and Nobody Gives You A Second Look!!!
GI5

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: GARRARD
1 - 20 of 35 Posts