M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as its starting to get cold i was wondering what is the best wayto keep your m14/m1a going in the cold (-10) and extreme cold (-25)?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I would say clean as normal. But when it comes to lubrication use a grease that is rated for cold temps. Regular grease will ''thicken'' and become gummy and cause malfunctions. My best advice for shooting in sub zero temps is to stay in the house where it is nice and warm.GI2

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Advise

I would say clean as normal. But when it comes to lubrication use a grease that is rated for cold temps. Regular grease will ''thicken'' and become gummy and cause malfunctions. By best advice for shooting in sub zero temps is to stay in the house where it is nice and warm.GI2
Haa haa ahhh hahah ...That reminds me of Gus's advise for clearing a building......what was it ? Tanks, grenades, air strikes,.....LOL......GI5

·
Registered
33 Posts
frost

I would say clean as normal. But when it comes to lubrication use a grease that is rated for cold temps. Regular grease will ''thicken'' and become gummy and cause malfunctions. By best advice for shooting in sub zero temps is to stay in the house where it is nice and warm.GI2
Sounds like the Army in Alaska's cold weather policy.GI1

I use Plastic Lube year around up here. Just not as much in the winter. I think a bigger problem then thick grease is ice build up. IE: taking the rifle out of a warm truck at the range and as we set up to fire moisture condenses on the steel then freezes the parts together. Army policy used to be to keep the weapons outside the tent to prevent this from happening.

Let the rifle cold soak then work the action to bust up the frost, also if you take a long break after warming the rifle up work the action to loosen it up before attempting to fire,

Cold has a lot more effect on the shooter then the equipment.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I try to make it a point and make sure my rifles and me stay warm and dry in cold weather. However, that advice on the QUANTITY of lube is good and if you're gonna use it in snow or freezing rain, an immediate(as soon as possible, that is) after shoot cleaning, of course.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Move into the 21st Century GI2

Use Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease for all temperatures, then you can stop worrying about it!

Rated operating range from -40F to +350F covers it all.

It's cheap, about six bucks for a 1 lb. tub that might last the average shooter a lifetime.

Same advice as any other lubricant - don't use too much grease in a well meaning effort to maintain your rifle. You'll only attract more dirt!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts