M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does your cold bore shot vary from your sighted in point of aim , or does it ? I haven't tried this yet with an M-14 but shooting hostage targets with my Steyr SSG P 11 i can put 5 shots into the inside edge of the bad guys eye at 100 , however my cold bore shot is half inch high and three quarters to the right . This is probably not an issue with a 3 inch rifle but assuming a highly accurized M-14 , what have you noticed ?

·
Registered
414 Posts
With my Armscorp with Douglas heavy match barrel,
After my shooting session I clean and lube at the range and take one fouling shot.
The next time I go to the range I take the target with which I fired the fouling shot and fire the cold shot and compare the the two.
Usually they print within .75 MOA.

The rifle shoots groups of 5 within .9 moa usually.

BTW it's steel bedded and when I check accuracy I use an ART-TEL
scope.

I use 168 gr Sierra bullets when I hand load. This is the most accurate load in this riflle. M118 and M852 are nearly printing the same, the hand loads have a slight edge.

geiman

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D I have found that I am not far enough out to worry about it, this goes for all three Rifles I use, as long as it's in the Ten Ring I dont care. :!:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not tooting my own horn, but good GOD, I get 1 MOA from my RACK grade M-1A, and 3/4 MOA with my IDF rifle! What kind of ammo are you shooting :?: I once had a guy that built a "Match" M-14 on an Armscorp receiver and was shooting it with handloads. After the 1st 5 rds. with my "rack" grade M-1A @ 100 yds., we walked downrange and after seeing my group with Port. surplus, he didn't talk to me the rest of the t
time I was there :lol: Army vs. Marine, I guess he just couldn't take it :p And, I clean mine every OTHER time out :lol:

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
I don't doubt it. I have seen and own an exceptionally accurate rack grade rifle. Also, it loves port and will shoot right around MOA with it out to a couple hundred yards. I have also seen Remington 700's, Browning A bolts and Sako's that would not shoot under 1 1/2 MOA with match ammo of the bench. Go figure. Sometimes rifles just shoot way better than they were made to. I wish I could shoot as goood as my rifles potental on any given day :!: .

·
Registered
646 Posts
Portugese surplus

I always measure the OAL of any new batch of ammo I buy and the port. came in @ 2.785 on my stoney point which is matched to my chamber. 2.8 is max for GI mags but it can be a little shorter. There's probably little or no "jump" in this guys rifle with the port ammo. He's probably also been real nice to the last couple inches of his barrel too.Norm

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Thank you 30 Caliber for getting us back on topic. I meant to add a sentence in my post this morning, but was either thinking about getting more coffee in me or just plum forgot. I've never noticed any substantial difference in the first shot or 5th. Usually fliers are caused by the guy behind the trigger, me. I do run a dry patch through the bore before shooting though. I've heard oil in the bore will cause a flyer more than the barrel temperature. My sighters/fliers are just to confirm sights have remained zero.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Jack Orr said:
I do run a dry patch through the bore before shooting though. I've heard oil in the bore will cause a flyer more than the barrel temperature. My sighters/fliers are just to confirm sights have remained zero.
I've found this to be true. If there's oil in the barrel, the first two shots are about 1MoA high. I run a patch with rubbing alcohol followed by a dry patch if those first shots count for score.

Ty

·
Registered
503 Posts
Cold Shot

With my Rem 700 PSS the first round is usually off by about 1 MOA low and right but I run a lightly oiled swab through the barrel after cleaning. Next time out I will try cleaning the oil out before the first shot and see what that does :? My M1A does not seem to be consistant about the first shot. Somtimes high, somtimes low other time right on the money. I am sure this is ME and not the rifle. Need much more trigger time :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.