M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Rescheduled for tomorrow at 11 a.m. ... I have no idea why they ever changed the 10 a.m. start time to a mid-summer evening in Florida. Last two 400's I attended were rained delayed until way late in the night and didn't finish until close to or right after midnight, no more for me. Way back in the day I don't remember ever having a 400 delayed or postponed whenever they started the race in the morning.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Back when I was into NASCAR racing I would attend 10 or so a year, the Firecracker 500, later the Pepsi 400 and now the Coke Zero 400, was one of them. When the race was in the daytime it was f'ing hot! Also they did not get the TV ratings that they wanted so it was switched to a night race.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live about 80 miles NW of Daytona & its been raining on & off all day so doesn't matter what time the race was scheduled for as it wasn't going to happen.

Its just too hot for a daytime race in Florida in July or August. Could easily be 110 in the stands.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I used to always like the 10 or 11 a.m. start time for the Firecracker 400, it was ran before the heat got cranking and it was over early enough to hit the beach afterwards.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I attended the race when it was held in the daytime and even though they used to start it early, 11:00am EST, by the time it ended it was so hot, you could hardly stand to sit there and watch it, there was no shade in those old stands. The vendors would sell out of all the water, beer, Pepsi, Cokes or what ever they had.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I always thought the hottest races I ever attended was whenever they ran Talladega in July, man I remember a couple of brutal hot ones.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that is what you call "the big one". Over half the field in that wreck.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Hard to believe these guys fly around in personal jets, go everywhere with a personal assistant, get paid multi millions of dollars a year, are considered to be the best drivers in the world and can't race any better than that?

I must have got in the wrong business because I believe I could wreck just as good as those bunch of over paid numbskulls.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Ya know , in my mind , that ain't winning. No need to go to winners circle , no celebration or champagne(yuck!) , no reason to be proud. He didn't win racing.

He beat fate today , but that's it.

NA$CAR's whole selling point of restrictor plate races , and the thing everyone watches for , is the big wreck. Today they got 2 , and ruined the race as much as the weather.

Wanna get rid of restrictor plates. Team owners and drivers need a closed door meeting. Next plate race , they play it normal , set up , practice , qualify , and line up in qualifying order , and when the green flag drops , drive around the track in qualifying order /position , at 60mph for 500mi.

When the fans destroy the place and stop buying tickets , maybe they'll do something real.

4.0L V-6s anyone.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
...maybe they'll do something real...
I'll even start watching it and going to local races again.

I hear one of my top two favorite drivers (Kenseth) is still racing and doing well, too. (The other was John Andretti)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts