M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I have my doubts about the CMP, but they usually come through good enough for me.

My previous order was for M14 parts kits and I was able to get six of them. Of the parts sent, most were in very good condition and mostly TRW parts. I found one gas cylinder that was worn out of spec. Not bad for a bunch of parts off drill rifles.

In December the CMP sent out notices that they had new in wrap Garand barrels. I heard that they had something like 4000. They sold out fast. I tried to order 5 over the net, but the CMP couldn't process my CC. Some kind of glitch on their side. I copied the order off my computer and mailed it. The end of the month the CMP informed me that my order had been accepted. The first week of January I was informed that the CMP had sold out of the advertized barrels, but they had a few unwrapped and I accepted the substitutes.

The barrels showed up today. I was surprised to find that the barrels sent were the ones originally advertized, NIW and full of cosmolene. They are SA 12-51 manufacture. Not bad for $125 each. I've seen barrels like these sell for over $300.

The CMP did good. It's just a case that if you snooze, you loose, so if they have something you want... jump on it.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I agree - the CMP is an amazing organization.
Some day - in the not too distant future - we will remember these as the good old days.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I had a little headache getting CMP's electronic system to process my order, too, but Orlando gave me an alternate way in that worked. Amazingly, my name, address, etc., popped right up. My barrels are still in wrap, '51's and '52's. I'm sure they'll be great if the chambers take a good final cut.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've been involved with the DCM/CMP since the late 1980's. They are a great organization with customer service that is second to none.

I would like to see them go back to mail order only & make an attempt with limits. But that's another topic!

·
Registered
966 Posts
On Black Monday in 2010 I was unable to get my CC acepted by CMP, so I waited and ordered on Tuesday. Still have not yet received my order. I was told they were up to 60 days behind on filling bayonet orders.

With that said, I have always found the CMP customer service to be first rate. I was sent a new rear sight for a Garand at no charge, as well as a replacement bayonet in the past. The bayonet originally sent was not servicable and could not be mounted on the rifle, so they sent me a "like new" one for a replacement.

·
Registered
324 Posts
bd111: care to share with us Orlando's alternate way into CMP's computerized ordering system?

Ted is correct. You see something you like/want from CMP, then order it asap. Your reaction has to be automatic - if you have to think about it, then you've already missed a great opportunity.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Most of my Garands are DCM, a few CMP and they have always done me well too

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I missed out on the barrels, but I like my ammo, my new to me cut Pal Bayonet from 1942 and the 250 rds of linked ammo in a WW2 can. I could go to the poor house buying loot from the CMP

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
A buddy and I recently went to the CMP's Anniston Al store for their customer appreciation sale. I bought three M14 stocks, three quarts of synthetic oil and two new in the wrap, green cotton M14/Garand slings for $7.99 each. My buddy bought a really nice service grade Springfield Garand for $595.00. We were very impressed with the facility and the helpful friendly atmosphere. I will definitely be going back.

7th

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I've been involved with the DCM/CMP since the late 1980's. They are a great organization with customer service that is second to none.

I would like to see them go back to mail order only & make an attempt with limits. But that's another topic!
It's a joke that all the Garands around Houston for sale, and many on GB are advertised (with CMP paperwork) CMP knows this and that's why their prices have gone way up over the years.

Used to be rules with the DCM, you bought it and kept it cause you wern't likely to get another.

Now it's just a gunstore with a good source.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
If after a month or so I haven't gotten my CMP fix I get the shakes......... So far I've only been about to hold out for maybe two months without ordering something. A book, a bayonet, open chamber indicators............I find that I have to order something to keep my disorder under control.

I did get three of the M1 barrels, all 3/52 and have three orders pending for stuff right now.

Hello, my name is mercman, I'm a CMP junkie...........

And check out my sentiment in my signature block....................

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Ya, know, I want to spread my $$ around so I give a little to several worthy causes..............that ends up filling out my collections. A lotta folks out there need my money!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just finished a CMP Winchester Parts kit Rifle. I did it about as inexpensively as I could and I think it turned out pretty well. Used a Fulton receiver and bolt (on sale at the time) and a SAK barrel from Gunny's Surplus. After assembly, lap bolt and check headspace, she sighted in with front sight centered and rear sight dead center so my toil over barrel timing paid off. She looks pretty good and shoots even better. This is my second M1A/M14 rifle and it won't be my last. Still have a TRW kit sitting on the shelf, waiting to be reborn. Thank You CMP...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Affirmative! Nice job. I'm also sitting on a CMP kit, mostly H&R, have a Winchester chrome lined barrel and a NIW TRW bolt. Just waiting on 7.62 to get me a receiver. Putting it together is beyond my abilities right now, but who knows, in the future maybe I'll have a stab at it. I would imagine it gives you a real sense of accomplishment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts