M14 Forum banner

Cmp vs lrb kits

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  deepsouth 
#1 ·
Morning folks,i am new to this site.got a question,what is the difference in these two kits.cmp is supposed to be mostly usgi,while I am not sure about the lrb kit.lrb is sure less expensive.

#2 ·
The difference as I see it is that the CMP kits are all USGI parts from demilled rifles while LRB states in their ad for their kit that, "Parts are a mix of surplus USGI and New Commercial." I don't know which parts are commercial by LRB, you would have to ask them if that is an issue for you.

#4 · (Edited)
I bought the LRB kit and it is as advertise. Good serviceable parts, mixed USGI and new commercial. The new commercial parts are the gas cylinder, flash hider, op rod, & op rod spring.

The trigger assembly I received is USGI mix master of Winchester housing and the rest are HRA parts. Also the trigger is already set at 4.5 lbs on the one I received.

The stock & and hand guard are synthetic, well used but serviceable. Front and rear sight are good, the stripper clip guide may need to be repark. NO rust on any parts.

LRB shipped my order out the same day, in the severe snow storm. Overall I am happy with my purchase.

I think CMP parts kit are better, but it does cost $130.05 more. I did order a wooden stock from CMP for $41.95 with shipping and it has all metal with it, (no hand guard though)

There are more discussion on this subject further down this area, maybe early December.

#5 ·
Thanks,just looking at different options.so would a gun built with a lrb kit not function as well as a cmp kit?or maybe not last as long?i understand the usgi parts thing,but ther has to be some good aftermarket stuff that works,right?what I want to do is buy a kit then a receiver,then the barrel,a stock and then have it assembled.i just cant take that all at once money hit,if you know what I mean.

#6 ·
7.62mm Firearms has a group buy going at the moment for $999 receiver, loaded bolt, & barrel, assembled. $1150 if you want the op rod with it. For a forge receiver and bolt, I do not think that can beat.

Either kit should work well and last, depending on how you care for it.

I went and bought the tools from Brownell's: gas cylinder wrench, castle nut pliers, The m14 complete assembly guide.
And the group buy from 7.62mm, I will assemble the rifle, which seems easy cause the most difficult part is already done; which is head spacing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.