M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Numerous postings about the CMP/SG in 308 and some months ago bought one from friend who had an extra one and fired one clip through it for function test and no problems. Finally got around to sending it to Mr. Ronnie Morris of Madison, TN for bedding and got it back some weeks ago and just got around to shooting it for accuracy tests recently. Can't do photos so just have to trust me when I report that with just common reloads, 42grs RG4895/147FMJ/WW primers/LC Match brass, from bench/bag the rifle would consistently print 5 shots in just slightly over 1 [email protected] Such performance is not that uncommon for a match prepped Garand, but not with basic loads as above.
Come ups for rear sight was 6 clicks and wind was one click right from Zero setting. Started out with 8 clicks up and printed first shot at 11 o'clock in the 10 ring, come down 2 clicks and next shot at 9 o'clock 10 ring next to X ring.
Third shot one click to right and cut just between left side of the letter X.
Had three clean targets left and pretty easy to keep them in the X ring w/ tight grouping of just over an inch for five shot groups. Not a testimony of my skills at all for using bench/bag, but does show that with sling, rifle is quite capable of fine accuracy. Have just over $1200.00 in rifle with bedding work and do have long range bolt guns that will do much better in the accuracy department, but at more than twice the investment. Currently have my LRB back to them for stock replacement and if it performs as well as this Garand I'll be very pleased. In today's market place for quality rifles those CMP SG in 308 is a real bargain.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Purchased my special in .308 last January. Compared it to my friends service grade he just got and needless to say I'm very happy with the route I took. Was looking to do some accuracy mods. Will try the bedding first since it seems to have been a good place for you to start.

Good shooting!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cartouche on mine is quite faint and would just have soon not on there at all, but it's OK. Size of it is about same as you would see on GI sample. Walnut on mine is of good quality but did do a slight BLO/wet sand job on it and turned out nicely. Wood seemed dry and a bit rough but the oil/sand job smoothed it out and makes for a nice oil finish.
As I posted earlier, these Special Grades in 308 are a lot of rifle for the money and not intended for collecting purposes, but for shooting/using they shoot very well. Had some reservations about the Criterion barrel they use, but it is an accurate M1. Don't shoot matches anymore, just casual shooting from sling or bench and how long the bore/throat will last compared to other barrels, don't know, but for my purposes it is good to go.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are right about the cartouche normally being larger and ugly on others I have seen, but think on mine it was barely struck and perhaps all of it did not show up on the wood.
When I did the light finish job I should have just removed it all together but ran out of ambition.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Getting rid of the cartouche is easy. Just SAND the damn thing LOL

When I got my RM1-308Special from the CMP the stock was rough, and it was stained.

So grab some sand paper - remove the rifle from the stock, and sand that sucker down. I went through 3 grades of sand paper, followed up by steel wool.

Apply about 15 coats of linseed oil over a 40 day period and you have one sexy looking Garand.

I got one for my brother too, he did the same thing.

You can see part of the cartouche which was originally the size of a quarter, but you cant tell what it is after I smoothed it out a bit.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have an H&R that was converted to 308 by a U.S contractor in the 60's. The U.S government gave or sold a large stockpile to Pakistan. When India beat Pakistan in that short war I think was in the early 70's. India captured all those M1s.
I have one of those 308 converted M1s. The barrel at the chamber is stamped 7.62 NATO M11.
From what I could gather is the chamber was knurled then the7.62 insert was pressed in.
It's a good shooter

·
Registered
198 Posts
As these other gents have stated, the cartouche on my Special was maybe a 1/2" square and lightly struck. Across the top it is supposed to say CMP, but I have to use my imagination to see it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Sounds encouraging. I mailed in my order for a .308 CMP Special M1 this week, as a Christmas present to myself. The CMP website says 30-90 days delivery on these, so if I'm lucky, it may actually be here for Christmas. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a ruger 300 win mag. wouldn't hold a 3 inch group at 100 yrds. Talked to a friend and he said to bed the front jug area. Did that and it is a tack driver for a hunting rifle. Some times it doesn't take a butt load of money to end up with a good shooter.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One could debate that the 308 is a more accurate caliber than the '06 but I don't know that is a fact or not. Some say yes, some say no??? For me anyway the 308 caliber does seem to offer less recoil and is somewhat more common regarding load components as brass for example, military surplus. Rule of thumb is you get some 150rnds/lb. of powder with the 308 and would get a bit less with the '06 but that is a small advantage overall. Since I have an LRB M14SA rifle and the 308 Garand it makes for commonality of ammo, less different inventory of ammo so to speak. I load both pretty much identical and works fine. Even though CMP installs a plastic "block" in the 308 version so as to avoid trying to use '06 ammo, I have used ones without the block and won't take more than once to figure out you have used the wrong ammo. The '06 is without question a proven excellent cartridge but today the 308 is far more common and is a current military round. The 308 Garand is certainly not a "traditional " Garand and if that is what you are after go for it, but I prefer the 308 version. I use the '06 inventory for my '03 Springfield and just try to ignore the recoil.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts