M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am on the verge of ordering an CMP select grade M1. What I was wondering is has anyone ordered one of these and what condition was it in. The CMP site rate's these as excellent. The picture look's great.
Thank's
Greg

· Registered
40 Posts
Hmm...

Hi
I am on the verge of ordering an CMP select grade M1. What I was wondering is has anyone ordered one of these and what condition was it in. The CMP site rate's these as excellent. The picture look's great.
Thank's
Greg
Select grade? You mean service grade right?

Go for it!!!

I've bought service grade and "special" grade and my service grade Garands were as "minty" as the "special" grade.

Here is a link that explains the difference in CMP grading:

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/rifles.htm

Be careful of "Garanditis" (meaning once you buy one, you'll buy another and another and ...)

GI2

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Thank's for the reply. CMP has a new rating of select grade. I just happened to be browsing their site and was looking at the M1s. I saw the select grade picture and decided to buy one. They are $989.00.
I was looking to buy an M1a as that is what I carried in Nam,but I did fire some M1s that the ARVN carried and really liked them.
Greg

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
question

Hi
Does anyone know of a good scope and mount for the M1. The one's I have seen mount to the side of the reciever and not on top of the barrell. Would like one that mount's over the barrell. Filled out the paper work and will order the M1 tomorrow.
Thank's
Greg

· Registered
40 Posts
Hi
Does anyone know of a good scope and mount for the M1. The one's I have seen mount to the side of the reciever and not on top of the barrell. Would like one that mount's over the barrell. Filled out the paper work and will order the M1 tomorrow.
Thank's
Greg
Greg,

Like jbrooks said, you'll need to use one specific to the Garand because of how the enblocs (clips) are loaded (from the top); therefore, centered over the receiver won't work...

I bought the one from the CMP e-store, but haven't mounted it and do not have a scope bought yet.

· Registered
172 Posts
-

Back in the day the CMP did sell select grades. I have one that is a mid 60's rebuild. Select grades were just nicer service grades with better barrels but didn't have matching parts which were generally collector grade.

There has been a fair spread in the service grades. From virtually unfired (non matching parts) to guns that fit the SG description. I often wonder why they got rid of the Select grade.

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
later check

Hi
Checked out the Fulton site and the mount look's interesting. Tried to get in the e store but I don't have a customer number yet so guess I will have to wait till I get the M1 so I can check it out. Again Thank's for the information.
Greg

· Registered
307 Posts
I have several M1's set up using the AmegaRanges scout mount which is the one once sold by CMP. I don't think they have carried them for a while now. They work great. You can order one from tjgeneralstore.com. They carry two different types, the AmagaRanges, which is what CMP used, and one made by UltiMak which is a little more low profile.

· Registered
6,654 Posts
FYI here are some pics of my CMP "Special." They've done a couple of version of specials. This one has cmp walnut stock, new barrel, fresh park. Some have had as-new GI metal in a new stock. I paid about $900 for this and IMO it was worth it. However, IMO the Service Grades are the way to go if you want a shooter for far less money. A few pics of my service grades are below.

CMP Springfield "Special."

CMP HRA Service Grade with CMP birch, finished with 20+ coats of BLO and Tom's 1/3 Wax:

as delivered:

After finishing:

· Registered
6,654 Posts
different CMP HRA Service Grade with GI stock:

As delivered:

After cleaning up a bit, and a coat or two of Tom's:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6vPBHZtt0Q[/ame]

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
M1

Hi
I really do appricate the answer's and help I am getting from everybody. After Looking at the picture's of the scope's that Steve sent in,it look''s as if the taller one would be more comfortable to shoot.
As to the picture's 1KPerday sent in, I didn't see any difference between the 2 grade's. It is to late as I sent in my order for the special grade this morning.
Now I get to spend the rest of my money on accessorie's. Oh well that's life.
I really enjoyed the u tube video but couldn't tell what you were shooting at.
Again Thanks
Greg

· Registered
40 Posts
You did good...

Hi
It is to late as I sent in my order for the special grade this morning.
You did good as the "special" grade was my first CMP Garand order too...

After that, I bought two "service" grades and a service grade "special" ($595 and $895 respectively) - all from "luck of the draw" (mail order, not in-store purchases) and I was very pleased with them all. The "cheaper" Garands were as nice as the more expensive ones...

Those purchases were a year ago, so your mileage may vary...

Tip: Join the CMP Forums if you haven't yet - tons of info and knowledge over there and you won't get "beat up" like on Steel Soldiers for not doing a search first before asking questions.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.