M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put together this video last weekend after our latest match. Though some of you might appreciate it. DI2

-Bob

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHnSWHYDCY[/ame]

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Looks like fun. I've been thinking I should get into something slightly competitive. Probably need to teach myself to shoot again. haha Haven't shot anything competitive since air rifle in high school.

Did you ever find anyone to decipher the Greek? The "owner" of another gun forum Im on is Greek. I can ask him if you like.

-Garth

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Very nice video. Be it J C Garand Match or std. XC matches don't know of a better way for owner of a Serv. Rifle to improve his shooting skills, gain more of an understanding of his rifle, or better yet, learn to appreciate just what these "old" rifles can do. These matches get your "rears" of that bench, teach you to use the sling, learn the sight systems, and puts you on the path of becoming a "rifleman." Thanks for posting your video.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We haven't found out what the greek characters are yet. If the guy you know can shed some light that would be great.

- Bob

Looks like fun. I've been thinking I should get into something slightly competitive. Probably need to teach myself to shoot again. haha Haven't shot anything competitive since air rifle in high school.

Did you ever find anyone to decipher the Greek? The "owner" of another gun forum Im on is Greek. I can ask him if you like.

-Garth

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are welcome. Thanks for watching.

Very nice video. Be it J C Garand Match or std. XC matches don't know of a better way for owner of a Serv. Rifle to improve his shooting skills, gain more of an understanding of his rifle, or better yet, learn to appreciate just what these "old" rifles can do. These matches get your "rears" of that bench, teach you to use the sling, learn the sight systems, and puts you on the path of becoming a "rifleman." Thanks for posting your video.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Well that was fast. Heres what he had to say....

I cannot read the one up front...could be a last name...

The word "Eλευσις" means arrival ...as for the meaning though...it could refer to anything...from a city in ancient Greece to the "arrival of Greeks in Troy ...or whatever a drunk Greek was thinking at the time.

Is a powerful word that can have a different meaning depending in the context is being used...hard to explain without a sentence...

If I had to take a guess and since is on a firearm...it means the arrival of a "great" or "powerful" (Greek ) force...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's pretty cool. I can't wait to let Karl know.

Thanks,
Bob

Well that was fast. Heres what he had to say....

I cannot read the one up front...could be a last name...

The word "Eλευσις" means arrival ...as for the meaning though...it could refer to anything...from a city in ancient Greece to the "arrival of Greeks in Troy ...or whatever a drunk Greek was thinking at the time.

Is a powerful word that can have a different meaning depending in the context is being used...hard to explain without a sentence...

If I had to take a guess and since is on a firearm...it means the arrival of a "great" or "powerful" (Greek ) force...

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
No problem Bob. Glad I could help. History like that always makes a gun just a little more special.

Maybe one of these days I will have to drive down your way to check out one of these matches.

-Garth

OH.... and he said if you can get better pictures of the other markings, he will take a look at them. If its not a name, and is something thats meant to be read together, it might explain the meaning of the other word better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts