M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my M-14 Kit from the CMP, very fast service.. like a week or less... All HRA parts. I'm a little disappointed that it was not all TRW LOL.. The more important aspect was the condition it was less than I had hoped.. The trigger guard lug (engages slot R side) was beat and peened..as was the op rod tab. With the exception of the rear sight which looked MINT.. The Flash suppressor was nice a few dings..gas piston was rode very hard and put away wet(pitting) on shaft, (very small) clip guide and op rod guide was both V nice.. kit had all parts less bolt, and firing Pin.. The CMP left out the fact that the firing pin is also missing in the ads.. The hand guard and stock was also in good shape.. burch and heavy sanded.. I ordered a couple of extra stocks.. I felt they were a good deal.. I got one birch and one walnut the walnut was thicker and had a lot more meat to it didn't look like it had been sanded off.. the birch had Circle P mark's faintly seen under the heavy sand down.. one of them I could just barely make out the star and eagle dod proof inspection stamp.. There was a little bedding on one of the stocks on the trigger pad very clean metal on all of them.. All in all I'd say it's a lot of money for a kit with out a bolt.. but if you buy pts individually they cost you more..and these are real USGI parts.. B2B

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Yeah, mine was mostly SA and HRN parts, but in a bit better condition than yours. Luck of the draw!! I think that the key is that these are milspec parts, regardless of manufacture.

·
Registered
14 Posts
CMP kit

Bolt2bounce,

Call the CMP, tell them the issues with the parts that aren't satisfactory, and let them make it right. I have always hesitated doing so myself, but when my kit came in, I called and their response was they wanted me happy and I think they mean it. NP, they switched out the dogged parts.

Good luck,

Skip

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skip that is good to know, I didn't even think about doing that, so what was the issue with your parts?.. The only part that I'd really want to send back is the trigger group, I can live with a little bit of wear on some pts but the trigger was tore up by a hammer and punch probably to tighten it up in the receiver.. B2B

·
Registered
330 Posts
I got one and the trigger housing was pretty rough. I contacted the CMP and they made it right.

I have a thread about that (if you search), with photos.

The bulk of the parts were TRW and were all in good condition (caveat: trigger housing above).

No firing pin in mine as well. From a CMP post, these came from drill rifles where the barrel/receiver/bolt were welded, so I guess the firing pin was removed or welded as part of the conversion.

I was happy to get any bolt parts, considering the description was vague as to whether you'd get any.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
No firing pin in mine as well. From a CMP post, these came from drill rifles where the barrel/receiver/bolt were welded, so I guess the firing pin was removed or welded as part of the conversion.
Correct, M14 JROTC rifles are not issued with a firing pin.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Not to piss in anyone's parade, but did you guys consider the other two sites that are selling the kits as well before deciding to go with CMP? What made you guys buy from them, was it because of the USGI parts?
I know CMP has great reputation for making things right; I have bought two Garands from them.

One of the sites is very well know to this community, their kit is under CMP's price, but their kits are mixed USGI and some new commercial parts.

The other site is double CMP's price and a little more,but it does come with everything except the receiver and USGI.

I am searching for a reasonably priced kit with good parts for my future build.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not to piss in anyone's parade, but did you guys consider the other two sites that are selling the kits as well before deciding to go with CMP? What made you guys buy from them, was it because of the USGI parts?
I know CMP has great reputation for making things right; I have bought two Garands from them.

One of the sites is very well know to this community, their kit is under CMP's price, but their kits are mixed USGI and some new commercial parts.

The other site is double CMP's price and a little more,but it does come with everything except the receiver and USGI.

I am searching for a reasonably priced kit with good parts for my future build.
I bought my first one from CMP before LRB had theirs.

I ordered my second kit from CMP after seeing the quality of the first one (and I'm hoping for an all H&R kit this time...)

I thought about LRB's kit (esp. since they site states you can add a USGI bolt for $200...), but for me the extra $120 or so was worth it to get another kit that hopefully will have parts matched by manufacturer and is all USGI.

Note- the CMP, as far as I know, does not guarantee a specific manuf. OR manuf. matching kits, but in my experience and others', that has been the case...

YMMV

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I bought the CMP kit partly because of their reputation for customer service and my history with them (I've bought several Garands and Carbines from them) and the fact that I also already had a NIW bolt and a Winchester 22" barrel so only needed those parts.

The USGI mystique is really just that to me. USGI parts are generally 35+ years old made with that era's technology and metallurgy. There's no reason why a modern manufacturer can't make an equal or superior part. The key is having a reputable modern maker who is willing to put in the quality control to produce that part. That's where research and learning from other M14 shooters' experience and this forum come into play. There are lots of folks here with the knowledge and firing line experience.

Listen well, grasshopper!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts