M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested in collecting all things M1 Garand, the CMP E-Store
has just listed a new batch of bayonets (with scabbards). This is in
addition to the M5A1s that have been available for several months.
Condition is used/serviceable and the asking price is $65 plus shipping.
No pictures are available yet, but these are supposed to be 10" blade,
uncut.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks James I need an M5 I will have something to do tomorrow.
Sure your welcome. To be honest, I dont know the difference between an M5 and a steak knife, but my local club sends out these emails from time to time so figured Id post it...

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Of the 20th century bayos that were made I don't have any of the M5 series. I think there were three versions. It's the only one I need oh besides maybe the M9

·
Banned
38 Posts
These are the bayonets he is talking about:

UNCUT
Bayonet, M1 with M7 fiberglass scabbard. It has a 10-inch blade. The fuller was 5.75-inches long and began 3-inches from the point. The blade tip ended in a spear point and plastic grips, black or brownish in color, were installed. Production of this bayonet type began in mid-1943 during World War II (as mentioned above).

CUT DOWNS
Bayonet, M1905E1 with M7 fiberglass scabbard Between 1944 and 1946 the US Govt modified many of the earlier 16-inch M1905 Type 1 and Type 2 bayonets by cutting the blades to 10-inch length and regrinding the tips to either spear or clip points. They're easily ID'd since the blood groove runs out past the blade tip. There is some evidence to support the claim that once these essentially World War I vintage bayonets were modified to the 10-inch blade length they became mixed with the Bayonet, M1 in the US Govt logistical supply system of the day and were also called Bayonet, M1. Technically this was incorrect as the official designation is M1905E1. Many of the 16-inch M3 scabbards that matched the 16-inch M1905 bayonets were modified to accept the shorter 10-inch M1 and M1905E1 bayonets.

The M5 series is a later Korean Era M1 bayonet. I have two M1 blades, an AFH and Greek Army copy. Not CMP purchases.

Wait to see quality. Better grades may come out and would be better spent as market value on nice one's is around $125.

·
Registered
300 Posts
the bayonets below marked * will fit the garand , but not all would be appropriate ,

right to left -
*M1 10" [not the cut down M1905-E1 ]
K-bar knife
M3 knife
M4 wwII [for M1 carbine]
M4 later version [for M1 carbine]
*M5 [note the lack of muzzle ring - the pin fits the gas cylinder lock nut ]
M6 [for M14 types]
M7 [for M16 types]

M9s [for the M16 types ]

top to bottom -
*M1905 [between wars]
*M1905 [WWII versions - 42]
*M1905E1 [cutdown M1905]

*M1905 [WWI and before]

*M1892 krags

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Thanks for the info! I ordered 4 of the CMP bayos to go with the garands I plan to give my kids someday. I figure I may as well pick up some pigstickers now as they may go away.

I guess some of them won't be appropriate or "correct" on the various garands but I doubt my kids will care. GI1

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I ordered an AFH uncut a few days ago. I already have two 10" uncut and a 16" PAL and a couple of the M5's. Couldn't resist!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts