M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went ahead and ordered an expensive parts kit from the CMP wish me luck.. I hope I get all TRW parts...LOL GI1.. not likely.. I didn't think I'd ever build another 14. I have 6 already and don't shoot them much.. these days.. but I may end up building a forged receiver rifle.. as close to GI as possible with out $200 tax bill.. if I can get a 762 receiver.. not gonna be cheap like the good old days.. I'll keep ya posted on the condition of the parts..I get.. B2B

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
You are probably going to get some pretty good parts. I have seen a few kits and the parts have been in good working order although some need re-parking. A few have gotten quite a few TRW parts in the kits. Good luck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just kidding about the TRW stuff.. it's one chance in four..so there may be a few. I have a SA (original army depot) usgi bolt and a TRW op rod already and a Chinese barrel.. so all I really need is a forged receiver the expensive part.. I think I'll give LRB or 762 some of my FRN for some iron alloy.. B2B

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interestingly enough, all marked parts in my kit are Winchester with exception of a WWII Safety. Even the stock was a cherrry wood Winchester in very good shape. Hammer was a Winnie, but Garand in nature. All parts plus Win bolt and TRW bbl in the hands of 7.62 for their free build. Hope to see the end product soon and will post a b*tload of pics when finally in my hands. Point being that it seems that CMP tried to keep like parts in the kits if possible. You probably stand a better chance of getting a TRW set if you were to travel to one of the stores and opened a few of the kits while standing at the counter.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Receiver

Mine has all TRW parts and is in remarkably good condition. Now I just need to find a receiver. GI6
Give Mark or Chris a call at 7.62MM Firearms....I just ordered five more to play with through the winter.....gotta stay busy with something till shooting season begins again.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is good news to hear, about CMP kepping the parts same.. I may get lucky, I'm Irish after all.. I had a bunch of Winchester trigger groups a while back but ended up trading them off for other stuff.. never could find a Winchester Bolt..to go with them.. TG. I kept a TRW Op rod and the SA bolt..for one more build.. I was thinking about getting a 762 inc receiver but I can build my own gun, although that free build offer is dam good deal.. B2B

·
Registered
7 Posts
You most likely will not be getting a getting a TRW parts kit. About two weeks ago I e-mailed CMP Customer Service to inquire as how to order a TRW Kit. They responded fairly quickly with a woman’s name and phone # who worked out of Anniston. I was told that she could place a manual order for me (instead of going through the E-Store) with special handling instructions to pull a TRW kit.

I got hold of her and told her what I was looking for; she took all of my info, and told me to expect a response in a couple of days.

Well she did get back to me (she was very nice to deal with by the way) and informed me that all of the TRW kits were gone. She gave me a choice of H&R, Springfield, or Winchester. I chose a Winchester kit, and approximately 4 days later Fed Express was at my door.

John.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm thinking of stopping into the North Store to pick up a parts kit. Why is it that everyone seems to want a TRW kit? If I do get a chance to pull a kit, which manufacturer do you recommend? I'm sure it mostly has to do with personal preference, but was just curious if there was another reason like scarcity or something else.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm thinking of stopping into the North Store to pick up a parts kit. Why is it that everyone seems to want a TRW kit? If I do get a chance to pull a kit, which manufacturer do you recommend? I'm sure it mostly has to do with personal preference, but was just curious if there was another reason like scarcity or something else.
From what I understand,TRW apparently made their m14 rifles to the same tolerences as their jet engine partsGITEN

·
Registered
179 Posts
At N. Store you will have any choice of HR. Thats all they have...as I've been told.

·
Registered
447 Posts
First let me point out that I'm no expert, but I do like TRW parts. That said, my shooter M14 style rifle is built with H&R parts and it's been a wonderful rifle, as has my H&R Garand!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got mine today

FedEx dropped off the CMP box just after lunch. H&R parts and they're in very nice condition. I'd seen other posts on the forum where folks had munged-up bits, but nothing like that here. The op-rod looks like new and the GC/piston fit is nice-n-tight. No rust on anything. The stock is even in good shape. (As mentioned elsewhere, there's no firing pin...)

I'm very pleased!

TCM

·
Registered
33 Posts
With good does come the bad! My recent kit was a SA POS pile! Gas cylider looked like it was drug behind a truck for about a mile, stock was cracked with a bent up door, trigger housing lug was worn to hell to. I am actually pretty mad! Especially after my 2 month wait.. leason learned - they're still a goverment office? Hell they even shorted me an additional item from my order. I called up and waited on hold for and hour and still never got through, I felt like was dealling with the local tag office...

I was pleased with my garand so I thought what the hell, I am only buying one, so they really ought to give me a nice kit. It then makes me really pissed when they send businesses perfect kits for their resale, what the... CMP!

Sorry just venting after a $600 mistake. BUYER BEWARE.

EDIT*** Was able to get in touch with someone there, they are goinf to correct the issues I had. Pleased with the responce!

·
Registered
66 Posts
First, sorry to hear about your crappy kit.

Second, they aren't a government office; they're a private non-profit corporation.

Third, when you do get through to CMP customer support (try phone and e-mail), I'd be very surprised if they didn't make everything right.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I know how he feels. I didn't get a bad kit. But I've felt like I'd been screwed a few times, on purchases.

It's been said on the forum by some members that they too had gotten poor parts. And also had gotten the bad parts replaced. I agree it's a pain but it's going to be OK. Just keep a cool head.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It really is luck of the draw. My CMP kit was not great but looks to be workable. If you got something that was not serviceable give them a call. They are great people and most of the time they can solve your concern.

·
Registered
277 Posts
With good does come the bad! My recent kit was a SA POS pile! Gas cylider looked like it was drug behind a truck for about a mile, stock was cracked with a bent up door, trigger housing lug was worn to hell to. I am actually pretty mad! Especially after my 2 month wait.. leason learned - they're still a goverment office? Hell they even shorted me an additional item from my order. I called up and waited on hold for and hour and still never got through, I felt like was dealling with the local tag office...

I was pleased with my garand so I thought what the hell, I am only buying one, so they really ought to give me a nice kit. It then makes me really pissed when they send businesses perfect kits for their resale, what the... CMP!

Sorry just venting after a $600 mistake. BUYER BEWARE.
Cant you return it? Ive recieved a few duds on thier bayonets, just email customer service with your contact info and they will contact you. They sent me a FedEx prepaid label to return the bayonets.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts