M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the gas cylinder that I got in my CMP parts kit. I don't know a whole lot about what to look for on them so I figured I'd let some of you guys take a look at it. The only thing that caught my eye was the lip on the upper part of the cylinder was dinged up. I looked and it didn't reach the threads but gets kind of close. I'm trying to figure out if it's serviceable or not so I can get it replaced if I have to. Take a look at the pics and let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Would I need to go to an armorer to check the bore?

I also remembered to post some pics of my CMP parts kit op rod. I think it looks pretty good, although there is some wear to the tabs corners. I can't really tell and don't have calipers to find the size of the tab. I was curious about it's condition, so just look it over and let me know if there is a problem i don't see.

·
Retired
4,700 Posts
So long as the dings don't affect the flush fit of the gas cylinder lock, you should be ok. If the dings are raised up to affect the flush fit, carefully stone them down. As far as the gas cylinder being worn out, they were built so well that they last for around 40K rounds. You should be fine there too.GI1

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
So long as the dings don't affect the flush fit of the gas cylinder lock, you should be ok. If the dings are raised up to affect the flush fit, carefully stone them down. As far as the gas cylinder being worn out, they were built so well that they last for around 40K rounds. You should be fine there too.GI1
Yep, listen to the Old Sarge, always....the only concern you should have is like B2B said, take a bright light and hold at both ends of the cylinder and look through it for deep scratches or scoring, look for egg shaped areas, if not, you are ok....light scratches and even slight rust can be polished out and be serviceable for many thousands of rounds. Clean your gas plug threads inside it with a brush and inspect them, and your gas plug, use anti-sieze compound before installing the plug to facilitate easy removal later after you have fired 300 rounds. DI5
Here are your piston specs, check it with calipers and inspect it as well before installing...then get after it....congrats on getting it going, can't wait to see the finished product....don't forget either,..we know you have a camera now. Op rod looks ok for awhile, without calipers, the only way to tell is install and shoot, if she dismounts, she's too worn...you can sometimes tell by the slop when cycling by hand but I would shoot it to see for sure. Might be better idea to get some calipers first though and check, because I have seen some that jumped out and were bent because of it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It'll be a little while before I have the time to build my HR kit into a rifle. In the mean time, I'm posting a pic of my other two rifles. I have a standard and a scout model. One of the pics shows my roll stamp as white, I saw a video on youtube on how to white letter your rifles. I gave it a shot and it looks pretty sharp, plus if I get tired of it, I just need a little solvent to clean it out. But I appreciate the help. I'll be on this site lurking and reading, lurking and reading.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Those parts look pretty nice, actually. I'd bet ya a barleypop that oprod tab is within spec. Looks like that gas cyl is good too, save a pass or two on a whetstone. Like Old Sarge said...DI5

I'm impressed, I 've heard nothing but good news out of the CMP kits.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought that overall the kit was pretty good. All my parts are HR, including the entire trigger group, op rod, and rear sight base. There are also markings on the windage and elevation knobs. The stock turned out to be pretty beat up and I have to look up the thread on here about the length of springs because my op rod spring looks short compared to a new one that I have. I did see one op rod at the North store that looked pretty rough. looked like 3/4 of the bottom of the tab had been ground off leaving a piece sticking off. Made sure not to pick that one. The trigger group, from what I can see, looks pretty dang good. Very little wear. I had some rust on the front sight and FS, but maybe I'll send the FS off to be reparked if I can. The only real question I had was the gas cylinder which looks like it was dropped on the pavement from 10 feet up. I assembled it with the lock and plug and all seemed to fit well. Like I said the threads hadn't been damaged, but I was worried about space appearing between the gas cylinder lock and whether or not that would affect the function. But maybe it'll be good to go and I can pick up a few other pieces here and there until I can build an HR rifle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts