M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO since somebody faster than me swooped in and purchased the scout I was drooling over I think I will get a couple of Garands from CMP to make me feel better.

I would like to hear imput on those who have purchased from there and what grade. I am pretty sure I dont want rack grade as they sound pretty beat up and used, but if someone has purchased one that was a cherry I'll consider it. Otherwise I want a field grade or better..I do plan to shoot the rifle and would love to get into competition so I need her to still be a shooter.....Please advise....

with that thought in mind, and since I "roll my own" any knowledge on bullet type, weight, and load data (that I will use as a guideline of course) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS can I order both rifles in one form and have them shipped to me at the same time living in CA??? or do I have to process two seperate invoices.

·
Registered
559 Posts
jumping in to hear about this too. been looking at getting one thats a shooter but mostly as a plinker. want to get one to go with the bayonet my grandfather gave me. its his issued bayonet from Korea.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've purchased 2 Garands and 2 Carbines picked out by me. All were rack grade and excellent shooters. TE was between 2-3 on all of them. 4" groups at 100yds. Can't complain. Gave them all new furniture.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Two of them

I have a Garand and 03. Both were collector grade(I believe). They both are in great shape, shoot well and have had no problems with either. The Garand being the better of the two, they both look nice! MCORPS1

·
Registered
179 Posts
Since you are ordering by mail, go with the Service Grade. Yes you can order 2, I believe you can order 12 rifles per year so knock yourself out. Make sure you shoot ammo for the Garand...CMP sells it. If you shoot commercial an its not made for the Garand you well risk damaging it unless you get a gas adjusment plug an set up to shoot safely with commercial. I would request on your forms that both rifles ship together also.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I bought a HRA Special back in 2008 when they were first offered, and a Springfield Special, I also bought a couple of HRA Service grades, and one other Springfield Service grade.

I believe the Service grades are your best bet. Mine looked much better than I expected, metal with very little wear, and barrels that gauged as new.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
The Rack and Field Grades of today are not the same from years ago. I have personally handled many many hundreds of Field and Rack Grades and I would under no circumstance mail order either.
If you can handpick at one of the stores you may find a gem in the rough but for the most part they are canidates for rebarreling
The Service Grade is a great rifle for the $$, you wont be dissapointed

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Definitely buy a service grade, unless you plan to change the barrel. beside the lowest grade they have now is a field grade.

I bought a Service grade HRA. It is in very good condition, it seems that the rifle was build test fired and put away until I bought it in June of 2010.

Since you want to get two, and if it is me buying I would get one in SA & one in HRA.

For roll your own ammo, I use this load:

150 grain jacketed bullets
IMR4895 start 46.0 max 48.0 OAL 3.30
IMR4064 start 48.0 max 50.0

168 grain Jacketed bullets
IMR4895 start 44.0 max 47.0 OAL 3.32
IMR4064 start 46.0 max 48.0

Be patient once you submit your paper work, they will get to you.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
+1, unless you're picking one out personally, order the Service grade or better. Or if you want a "new" one, the "service special" grade.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very good info.

I cannot "hand pick" as I live in SOCAL but I appreciate the knowledge. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I cannot "hand pick" as I live in SOCAL but I appreciate the knowledge. Thanks to all.
You will be safe mail ordering Service Grade. They come in both new commercial Boyds stocks or USGI Wood. If you have a preference ask on your order. Doesnt mean you will get it but they will honor requests when possible

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Get all your paperwork in to CMP so you're registered and cleared to purchase. Doesn't take long. If you can swing a business trip or vacation time to go to CMP's store at Camp Perry, OH or Anniston, AL, it'll be worth it. Don't be shy about Field Grades but don't order one sight-unseen. The grading is all over the road. I don't know which Service Grades CMP's armorers are concentrating on right now, but if they still have some H&Rs with good barrels and GI wood they're a sweet deal.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Agreed, get the service grade! And like Orlando says you may end up with CMP's commercial wood on your SG. I have ordered several SG's and when I got my first one with commercial wood on it I was very disappointed because at that time the commercial wood was not listed in the SG description so it came as a surprise.

That one was an H&R and fortunately when I field stripped it for the first time two big chunks of wood came off behind the trigger group. The stock had been poorly fitted and their customer service had me send the stock back. It was replaced with a correct USGI walnut stock so I was very happy.

Now that the fact that you may get commercial wood is in the item description for the SG's I have no problem with the fact that I may end up with non USGI or GI wood. As a matter of fact the Winchester SG that I got last year came with a complete commercial stock set.

Also check out their ammo, Greek HXP, it's still a bargain even for handloaders. I always order the HXP in enblocs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I picked up an H&R service grade in mid 2008, mine was awesome, all H&R except the bolt and trigger group, fitted with a CMP marked Boyds stock. Took all of a half of a day to remove all the cosmoline. Super accurate and priced right at $595.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would get 2 service grade HRAs. You can always get the SA later.The picking is good right now at the cmp.I have 12 garands they are addicting.I like HRA the best! There fit and finish is great!!SA postwar are very good too_One of my HRAs has a LMR barrel fantastic shooter.I have a Letter kenny SA rebuild with a 65 barrel also a great shooter.If you are buying 2 rifles get both HRA.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Paperwork is Away

Service Grade SA ordered.

All I can afford for now.

But like we ALL know once I have her in my hands I will order more.

Thanks for the advice.

Now Im gonna go nuts every time UPS pulls up my street...huuuh.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Service Grade SA ordered.

All I can afford for now.

But like we ALL know once I have her in my hands I will order more.

Thanks for the advice.

Now Im gonna go nuts every time UPS pulls up my street...huuuh.
You will really go nuts when FedEx pulls up the street as thats who CMP uses for deliveryFRG1

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 64 Posts