M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

The heel say's Springfield Armory, and every part I can find on it that's stamped is stamped SA so that's pretty neat I think. The serial number puts it in the 1952 range I believe [Edit: 1953, thank you Random Guy] and the barrel is stamped SA-2-52 (Muzzle 2, Throat 3+), wondering if it might be the original barrel?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
That serial # would correspond with a summer of 1953 production date, so likely a replacement barrel, but those are neat rifles. Your's was likely made around or just after the Korean War Armistice was signed, which was July 1953.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Congratulations! Looks like a pretty decent rifle. I have to admit that I’m jealous you got yours so quickly. I put in an order for a service grade in late February and am still waiting for them to catch up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Congrats on a nice Garand! Your going to have a lot of fun shooting it. Post up your range report too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nice rifle.

If there are no cartouches on the stock, I would put it in the dish washer to get some of the digs out and then look at putting a bunch of coats of BLO on.

Lots of fun to redo stock like that :).

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
From several sources I've read , the receiver date and barrel date at Springfield could be as much as 6mos during peacetime. Springfield was turning out LOTS of barrels for new production rifles as well as spares and replacements for rebuilds , between and after the wars

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Nice rifle! I have a Garand but keep thinking I want to make a trip to the CMP store to pick out a couple more in person.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You did well on that for a field grade, Congrats!

·
Registered
426 Posts
You could steam out the dents alone (like the big horking one on the handguard) by letting some water soak into the dent itself, then after it soaks up what it can, you can use something like the tip (just the tip...phrasing...) a hot soldering iron or of an old clothes iron and a really wet piece of towel or old tee-shirt to steam it up. This does only the dent and can either make it better, or if lucky, eliminate it. Might require several tries. Then, like others suggested, a little boiled linseed oil to protect the area. Easy-peasy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts