M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and son Sent in their packets on the same day and they were RNG number was only five numbers apart. Both got the call last Wednesday, and their pistols were delivered on Friday. Both Remington rand Frame with colt slide. My wife got the field grade my son got the rack grade they are happy with both.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
From what I perceive the Service Grades appear to have some new parts added. Almost as if they were arsenal reconditioned before storage. That's my guess based on what I received. Visibly though my service grade looks a lot like the field grade noted in this thread. Having said that the grading descriptions CMP provides doesn't seem to match the actual guns shipped. It could be they aren't getting the response they thought they would and are shipping nicer guns because they have them. Who knows.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
From what I perceive the Service Grades appear to have some new parts added. Almost as if they were arsenal reconditioned before storage. That's my guess based on what I received. Visibly though my service grade looks a lot like the field grade noted in this thread. Having said that the grading descriptions CMP provides doesn't seem to match the actual guns shipped. It could be they aren't getting the response they thought they would and are shipping nicer guns because they have them. Who knows.
The SGs are completely re-arsenaled and ready to go back to a unit. Most have been re-parked and thus their org. markings are fainter and harder to distinguish. They also seem to have a higher degree of newer parts, unlike a FG or RG. It's really what you prefer I guess. The FGs and especially the RGs give you a chance at more of a org. pistol IMO, that's why I went RG.

I think the CMP descriptions are pretty spot on. If anything their descriptions are pretty conservative, but everyone who grades down there has their own way of applying the different grades, they are human after all.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The SGs are completely re-arsenaled and ready to go back to a unit. Most have been re-parked and thus their org. markings are fainter and harder to distinguish. They also seem to have a higher degree of newer parts, unlike a FG or RG. It's really what you prefer I guess. The FGs and especially the RGs give you a chance at more of a org. pistol IMO, that's why I went RG.

I think the CMP descriptions are pretty spot on. If anything their descriptions are pretty conservative, but everyone who grades down there has their own way of applying the different grades, they are human after all.
Makes sense. I wasn't pointing fingers at CMP I was mostly basing what I perceived as the outward appearance of the rack and field grades. If I recall hand guard cracks were mentioned in the rack grade description but out of all the pics I saw online none of the rack grades had cracked hand guards. Personally I'm satisfied with my Service Grade. It's tight and works well.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
There is no "wrong" choice. I think the CMP does a pretty good job overall with their descriptions and how they apply them. Obviously, with the amount of product they put out every year, they will make mistakes and there are ALWAYS some out there that will never be happy with what they receive.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

The RG I received is what I was expecting and am very pleased with it. Shoots great as well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I chose to go the auction route and got a US&S described as 98% original finish….. I was not disappointed. I am not a 1911 collector or expert by any means, but I do have the small Clawson book, 3 rd edition, my purchase seems to check out. I noted minor marks on the slide to frame finish, not able to be shown in a pic, like rub marks, slide has been on that frame for a long time… the signs I use to tell if parts were swapped….I mentioned this because one prolific poster on the CMP forums seemed to be trying to say that CMP was matching parts for max sales value for the few US&S high end finish offered. The purchase I made did not seem to be the case best I could tell. Detailed pics of my purchase are available thru the CMP auction history, I paid $4001…….I looked for a US&S since 1998…most in a similar condition to mine go for much more at big shows like SOS or Tulsa. I do need to find a proper magazine to put with mine. I had a little experience with 1911s in 78-80, I started my career as a Civil Service employee at Red River Army Depot, saw them stored loose in palette boxes, just thrown in… part of the DCM sales program was still functioning, saw a few 1911s picked for shipment, some parts sold also. Red River did not have any weapon rebuild lines operating, just storage and release( shipping) activity. At that time Red River was rebuilding M113 APCs for US and FMS activity…taking well used units and completely rebuilding, converting to diesel. The shop where new data plates were made was very interesting, made plates in over a dozen languages for FMS…..sorry to digress from the 1911 subject….the one thing I saw of most interest here would be warehouse with 114 thousand M14s in storage…

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The service grade I received in round one looked like they had taking a belt sander to the slide before Parkerizing it. It had a replacement barrel and majority replacement small parts, multiple rebuild markings, but with the fresh parkerizing looked ready to issue. I should’ve went with field or rack grade back then, I like the one my wife got and my sons much more than the service grade. If I had a opportunity to buy another myself it would be a rack grade. With the been there done that look and still in good serviceable condition.

Reactions: TCAF

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Congratulations to all on your 1911 pistols. When I first looked at the OP's post I was wondering how he got two. Reading the post does help. Really great story. I actually tried to get two from the auction and found out that they do pay attention to the rules. Only one, either auction or RNG.

I went the auction route as well. This one was issued to the Navy and I wanted a Navy gun. My dad was a radioman on the USS Lindsey in WWII. I love mine. I love every nick and mark. It also shoots quite well but just a bit high right.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My wife and son Sent in their packets on the same day and they were RNG number was only five numbers apart. Both got the call last Wednesday, and their pistols were delivered on Friday. Both Remington rand Frame with colt slide. My wife got the field grade my son got the rack grade they are happy with both.
Lucky Dog! Good for you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lots of awesome looking pistols, congrats to all!👍
I got in on the first drawing 13K drawing number, ended up with service grade Remington Rand 1943 with no rebuild marks. Even had a G marked magazine (General Shaver)
Was very happy with the results of the drawing and CMP. Even have a sardine can of 1943 Evansville Chrysler ammo to shoot through it occasionally.
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver

Plant Font Rectangle Nameplate Commemorative plaque

Wood Handle Door Grey Motor vehicle

·
Registered
436 Posts
Congratulations! Looks like a nice score!

When I was in the Army we hadn't switched over to Beretta's yet ('83-'87) so the sidearm was a 1911A1. The ones we had were arsenal refinished, probably more than once, but you could hear them rattle if you shook it! Never could develop an affinity for them. Don't care for single action and the length/weight for CCW is a bit much. That said, LOTS of folks love them and they are indeed some beautiful firearms!

·
Super Moderator
12,512 Posts
Lots of awesome looking pistols, congrats to all!👍
I got in on the first drawing 13K drawing number, ended up with service grade Remington Rand 1943 with no rebuild marks. Even had a G marked magazine (General Shaver)
Was very happy with the results of the drawing and CMP. Even have a sardine can of 1943 Evansville Chrysler ammo to shoot through it occasionally. View attachment 497941
View attachment 497946
View attachment 497947
Make sure you clean him well that’s corrosive ammo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts