M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to a gun club meeting tonight. I want to put some serious thought into my next couple of purchases. First would be the M1 Garand, probably service grade, maybe Dane. Then would be the 1903a3. I have this growing feeling of get them while you can. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I can think of a few people on this board that first hand experience with both. :wink:

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The Danes are said to be pretty decent Garands from what I understand. Can't really say as I have never had one but just going by what I hear around the different boards.

03A3 ... Thats another fine choice as well ... :wink:

I'd check with wdi or dig on this as they have more knowledge than I here. I do own one Garand yet that is a S/A Match in .308 that I have never even fired yet ...

It keeps callin' out to me but I aint never home ... :(

Six

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha BT:

I think that is a good idea, to get them while you can AND while the prices are still DECENT! Excellent idea actually!

I have a CMP Dane M1 Garand witha a VAR barrel and very happy with it. If not collecting for "collector" value's sake, then it will make an excellent "fixer upper" project. I love them because they also make you do some research if you are into making them "correct" in terms of period of make, part #, etc.

There are lots of really good deals going on as well. CMP IS AWESOME!!! Go for it...

Have fun and good luck!!!

Tom O.

·
Registered
615 Posts
03A3's are grand weapons - great shooters. I personally prefer to check the rifle out before I buy but CMP is far cheaper for most than to buy them elsewhere. Got to admit I like both my Springfield 03's the best though.

I know Garand's are good weapons (okay I've been told that - having never shot one). But I also know that when it comes to what you get from the CMP it's a pig in a poke - so be careful.

·
Registered
846 Posts
i know it's very hard to resist the urge to stop in there and put another rifle on the CC.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The CMP is the best, as far as I'm concerned. I've only got one rifle that has given me trouble, but its more challenging when you have to work to make it right I think.
I've gotten three M1s, 2 SA's and and Winchester Dane with a VAR. The 2 SA's are the project guns, I restored my 4 mill Dane SA thanks to Mel Bishop shes all correct now. The Winchester is the best of the three, the VAR gives my dads HRA with an LMR barrel some real competition.
I got a Remington 03 as well and it was a disappointment at first, covered in grease, oily stock and a busted rear sight. She cleaned up really well and the CMP sent me replacement parts to fix the rest.
I got all of mine back before they decided to sell by manufacturer, I just put a post it note on my order and asked politley, there ya go just have to ask nice :D
RRVI

PS sometimes its nice to get a suprise though

·
Registered
188 Posts
CMP

BT,

I too am a fan of CMP. IMHO, if you're looking for a gun (M1) with hopes that it will be in better cosmetic condition, I would get a SA Service Grade. There seems to be more of these available. I got one this past summer and was quite pleased when it arrived. It was an arsenal refinished (and not used since) SA with matching 1944 receiver and barrel, and about 95% green park finish. It also had a very nice walnut stock, although I don't know if it was GI or not, as it didn't have any cartouches or markings at all. Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase.

Darrell
(dperr)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
BT

The CMP is one great way to start on the way to becoming a Garandaholic, it is an addiction. I recently received one of the M1D's they had on sale. Looks like it hasn't been fired since arsenal rebuild in 6/69.
Everyone at CMP was courteous, helpful and kept you informed, even to us old Yankees! :wink:
They also have a volunteer program, you think you are in heaven, when you see the piles of containers with 100 rifles in each. You show up and they put you to work, doing whatever. Wear old disposable clothes, expect to get dirty and tired. TIP: Bring extra tootbrush and paste, with the large smile, you are bound to get cosmoline on them pearly whites.
Those folks are doing an outstandind job of preserving history, giving us a chance to be part of it.

Tatonka
Out

·
Registered
846 Posts
yeah i got one of the M1Ds also. yesterday i stopped in the store and picked up 4 of the remmy 513Ts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts