M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else receive a birch stock sanded down to remove any traces of finish? It looks like the job was done with a dremel; many gouges in the stock and the metal wasn't excused from this bubba job. Wondering what the CMP's standards are concerning these stocks?

·
Registered
493 Posts
When I ordered my kit I also ordered an extra $35.00 stock. The extra was basically like you described. I stripped it and sanded it. Still haven't put finish on it.

The stock that came with my kit is walnut and decent. It's no looker, but that's ok. Lockup is fairly tight.

You may consider calling them. If it was the $35.00 replacement stock that came like this (which was my case), I don't personally don't think there's any real way to take issue with it - you get what you pay for. But since this was a part of your $600.00 kit, I would probably recommend emailing customer service.

Emailing them will always get you fast service, they're great with emails. One time I emailed, didn't get a reply back, but actually received the part two or three days later. They're pretty incredible with customer service.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Anyone else receive a birch stock sanded down to remove any traces of finish? It looks like the job was done with a dremel; many gouges in the stock and the metal wasn't excused from this bubba job. Wondering what the CMP's standards are concerning these stocks?
I sold all of my "A" kit stocks for $25 each. The stock metal is worth more. I always ordered a $35 stock for my build.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My "A" kit came with an Overton stock with a rack number on the butt in white paint. It's a replacement stock, so it doesn't have the P proof stamp or any DAS cartouche. I think it's birch, but it feels slimmer and lighter than my USGI walnut stock. I kind of like it. Most all of the "B" kits come with a GI fiberglass stock, which is one reason I ordered one of these. It's a nice tight fit to my receiver, which I think helps make it as accurate as it is.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Without pictures, it is hard to judge.
That said, if it is serviceable I wouldn't bother CMP with it.

·
Premium Member
20,441 Posts
Just unpacked 2 A kits today. Stocks are going to be fantastic. Nice birch with lots of striping. I just hit them with a little mineral spirits to get rid of some of the crap and see what they will be like. Refinishing will be done in the Spring when I can work ouside on them. 1 kit was H&R with a brand new SAK oper rod and SA hammer. Other was all Winny. Both rear sights look as new. Trigger groups had very little peaning. I did notice that one of the operating springs was just under 15" so it found a home in the trash bin.
Very happy with purchase. This make 6 kits now. I have enough parts for 3 more builds.
My wife loves it when I get lost in my workshop. Me Too.
Semper Fi

·
Registered
361 Posts
Called CMP

I just received my parts A kit and a few items were less than stellar. (Flash suppressor, Gas Cylinder and Gas Cylinder Plug) I called CMP and left a message on their voice mail yesterday, they returned my call today and told me they would make it right and send out my parts next week.

So far their customer service has been excellent. DI5

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, looks like I'll be talking to customer service. I found a cracked elevation knob in the other kit I received anyway.

I do have another question, if I can piggyback my own thread. What's the purpose of the hole in the end of the op-rod? one has one and the other doesn't?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.