M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NFG here. Just recently discovered CMP and am interseted in a 03 or 03A3. The wife would like a Garand cause she knows the beast from high school (works for me, thank you ROTC). Has anyone received an 03 or M1 from CMP this year? I am wondering about the condition of what they have left. I am looking for a piece (or pieces) of history that can be used as a shooter at the range and maybe in competition.

Anyway, not having a grand to throw around for both, WTF, over? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Firing Line - jobeewon =D>

You can expect to get a fully functional rifle, but one that is covered in cosmoline. :D Part of the "fun" of owning one of these battle rifles is pulling it apart and cleaning it up to see what you've got.

I've purchased both an '03 and an 03-A3 from CMP and the only problems I had were an extremely oil-soaked stock on the A3 and a bad safety. I called CMP and they air-shipped me out the "innards" for the bolt, which took about 2 minutes to replace.

Both of mine are shooters and the '03 stock is gorgeous.

CMP delivery was fast and they were very courteous to me when I reported my problem with the safety cam on the bolt. It'll take a while to get them cleaned up, but they are well worth the price for the rifles, IMHO. :D :D :D

BTW - unscented mineral spirits are great for taking cosmoline off of wood and metal. Along with some artificial 0000 steel wool, the mineral spirits will be about all you will need in addition to normal rifle cleaning stuff.

Pull up a chair and we'll set a place at the table for ya. \:D/

db

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Buck

I picked up a SKS 59/66 about a month ago, first mummified firearm I have dealt with. I am learning the value of complete disassembly and inspection. I thought I had it clean, read about slam fires and decided to soak everything in a pail of spirits for a few days. Good thing. Gas ports were clogged. Mucho crapola in the bolt/firing pin assy, could have been ugly at best. Cosmo is quite the stuff. I did the mineral spirits on the metal and topped it off with aerosol brake cleaner where my fat fingers or Q-tips can't get. Having some trigger work done and looking forward to punching holes in paper in the next week or so.

When you say the stock was soaked in oil, is that cosmo? How do you un-soak it? Black plastic bag in the sun? Oven cleaner? Does the oil go away? Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I received both an M1 and a 1903 from CMP late last year. The M1 was in excellent shape (I've put many rounds through it), although it took me around 2 weeks to really get the stock cleaned up. The rifling and bore were in excellent condition, although there was some minor corrosion in the gas system that I had to clean up. Overall, the weapon was in excellent shape and required only a good cleaning to get it firing. My 1903 arrived packed in cosmoline but appeared to be in unfired condition with no scratches or dings on the parkerizing. All the serial numbers (including the one stamped on the stock) matched. It took a significant amount of work to get it cleaned up, but it shoots beautifully and is a pleasure to touch.

·
Registered
947 Posts
CMP really doesn't know what they have until they open the next crate. What they have left is as good as what they've sold. When they process a crate or pallet they cull the Collector Grades out right away and determine the others during inspection.

Ask for what you want.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just went to the CMP this morning and they had about 4 rack rows of '03s available for inspection. Of the ones I personally looked at, all had MW of less than 2, so my decision was based on which one had the best looking stock and finish. I wound up taking an SA Mark I home with me today and have plans on going back again sometime next week.

·
Registered
177 Posts
No need to be afraid of what they send ya on the truck . They've done real well in what they sent me . No rare gems mind you , and only one or two that needed a barrel .

Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.