M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I bought several CMI 20 round mags from Copes Distributing.
They came in a clear plastic sleeve that is open on one end. I'm used to them being in the sealed blue bag, and I'm wondering what the difference is. Are these mags from older production or what?
They are marked CMI on the back of the mag.
They were advertised as "Checkmate Industries of New York, current military issue, OEM magazines for the largest M1A manufacturer".

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I have Gotten them Both in the Blue and Clear Plastic Before also. I received mine From Palmetto State Armory. 2 were marked CMI ,20 + were marked BRW-1
Go Figure, This much I am certain of, They are all CMI
this being said in the future I will only order from 44mag.com

·
Registered
235 Posts
As charles stated I have also recieved CMI mags in both the blue wrapper which came sealed a while back. More recently purchased CMI mags came in the unsealed clear plastic. Both orders were purchased from 44MAG.com . I initially was concerned with the different packaging but all of the mags loaded and fed trouble free.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So these are around at other places too. I have to admit that I didn't look at every one of them, but I looked at quite a few and they all said CMI. I didn't even take the time to compare them to the CMI that came in the blue wrap. I'll do that when I get home. I've been on the road for a long, long time now.
I'm fairly new to the M1A and don't know if these are old mags with old style packaging left over from days gone by or what. Or have they been repackaged, and if so why?
Hopefully they are the real deal and not a copy. I haven't had the chance to use them yet. Time off work has been real short for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nickoli I guess we were posting at the same time. Thanks to both of you for the info. I guess the more I thought about it the more concerned I got, and it sounds like I've been worrying about nothing.
Thanks Again

Edit to add that I was not slamming Copes. In fact I've always been very satisfied with their products, prices and service

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Not sure about the older CMI mags, but all recent production mags have a line stamped below the fifth dimple on the mag catch plate. I've got four mags that are not stamped CMI on the back of the mag, nor on the floorplate. They do have the line stamped on the mag catch plate. They are identical in every way to the recent CMI mags. Charles wonder if your BRW S-1 mags have the stamped line? dozier

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
As soon as I am Done with My "Man Chores" will take and post pictures
As Said Here are a Couple of Pics, these were picked up as CMI Magazines from Palmetto state armory new in the wrap some Blue some Clear wrapping. Got them give or Take 3 years ago
and no line on the latch plate

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
these were picked up as CMI Magazines from Palmetto state armory new in the wrap some Blue some Clear wrapping. Got them give or Take 3 years ago and no line on the latch plate
Let's do the easy greasy check first, okay? Depress the follower so that you can see inside the magazine tube (body) directly behind the latch plate. Do you see two small holes inside the magazine tube directly behind the latch plate? If yes, you will be nicely surprised.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
As charles stated I have also recieved CMI mags in both the blue wrapper which came sealed a while back. More recently purchased CMI mags came in the unsealed clear plastic. Both orders were purchased from 44MAG.com . I initially was concerned with the different packaging but all of the mags loaded and fed trouble free.
The blue plastic sealed bags are govt VPI wrapping to keep the mags from rusting during long term storage. The open clear plastic I suspect are a new way to keep them for getting storage dings, they used to come wrapped in paper. You used to could order the mags in the blue VPI plastic but it costs a little more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts