M14 Forum banner

CMI Mag dates?

2764 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Dakota1911
I called CMI directly for an answer but I don't think they understood me.
Here Goes:

Fact: New CMI Mags have a CMI on the back and the CMI / HorseHead on the bottom.

Question:Do PRE-BAN (Pre 9/13/94) CMI mags have Different markings?

I was told by the girl I spoke to that their pre-bans have NO markings at all.
So.... if I see a mag with CMI on it, it MUST be POST BAN.

If any one has an early mag to check, or knows the answer, I would appreciate it.

Yes New York Sucks.....
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,265 Posts
As I recall, I have seen pre ban CMI mags marked CMI. During the ban they were marked for military and law enforcement only and dated. Since then, they have been marked only with CMI. I didn't see the mags with the logo on the floor plate until this last year. They also include CMI on the back panel. CMI mags produced for SAI are not marked.

· Registered
9,283 Posts
Check-Mate Industries made twenty round M14 magazines before the September 1994 federal Assault Weapons ban. Some are marked C.M.I. on the rear side, some are not. The CMI pre-ban twenty round magazines had blank floor plates. The Armalite and Springfield Armory, Inc. logos that are on some CMI magazines are post-ban features.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
1996 production CMI mags have no markings at all.

Then there was a transition where CMI was marked on the mag tube only.

When they came out with the 25-rounder they added the markings on the floorplates.

Those are my observations, anyway.

JWB

· Registered
3,789 Posts
Ok, so if I find a CMI mag, that says "CMI" only on the back, it is likely pre-1994.
Any LEO, Springfield, or Armalite stamped sides, and anything on the floorplate would be Post-Ban.
NO. The mags after 2006 are stamped with ONLY the CMI on the back of the tube. BUT, at some point After about 2007 or 2008 (not sure when) then both the tube and floorplate are marked.

As I MEant to say aboe, from my observations, the 2006 are UNMARKED but the ones after that are marked with CMI only. I have a bunch of both.

I don't think there is any way you can PROVE a CMI mag is pre-1994 ban.

So this is what I KNOW based on MY experience:

2006: Unmarked at all

sometime 2007 and after: Marked CMI on back of tube only, blank floorplate.

Sometime between maybe 2008 or 2009, when the 25 round mags came out, the floorplates were/are Also marked.

But as has been the case before, Different is the man to say so with proper authority.

JWB

· Registered
9,283 Posts
Here's the no muss, no fuss answer. If the following is true:

a) CMI tell tale horizontal line is present on the latch plate
b) there are no logos (Armalite, SAI) on the magazine
c) there are no LEO/Government Only markings on the magazine
d) there are no fake "GI" markings (W, OM, etc.) on the magazine
e) magazine capacity is twenty rounds and it works like it should
f) C.M.I. is or is not present on the rear side
g) the magazine parts otherwise look and feel like USGI quality
h) there is no factory packaging remaining for this magazine

then the magazine in question could have been made before or after the federal AW ban.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.