M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Honorable Discharge
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got to take my new LRB out to the range and break it in. Brought two CMI mags with me.

One works perfectly fine. The other isn't catching appropriately and the bolt will not hang open when the magazine is empty.

Anything I can do to fix this magazine? Anything specific I should check?

·
Honorable Discharge
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I still have several other magazines that are still in the wrapper. Should I pop them out to see if they have the same issue?

·
Honorable Discharge
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, I would give all the mags (CMI's?) a try. Do the mags appear to have the same feedlips and follower configuration?
Yup, they're all CMI's. Bought ten back in early 2010 when they were still $20 each.

Time to cut 'em open and check 'em out.

***edit***

Turns out 3 of the 10 won't catch the bolt hold open appropriately. Time to swap a follower and see what happens.

***edit #2 ***

Switched the followers around and it works. I'm guessing the springs in the 3 magazines simply aren't strong enough.

What's the recourse to fix these? I originally ordered from 44mag.com, but it's been over a year and I doubt I can go that route. Where can I get 3 replacement springs?

·
Honorable Discharge
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
44 mag will stand behind their product. Call and tell them what happened. Link this thread to them. The mags are new and never been used, and they are a forum sponsor. I would assume they want to continue to sell many mags here, and if they don't make it right, their sales will dramatically drop off here. We are the lions share of their market base.

Just in case, check with a bright light inside the bodies of the ones that don't function properly, and look for burrs in the metal, stopping full travel of the followers, or bent feed lips.
Burrs on the followers also. I have two rebuild kits less the springs, in the PX under "Many items...." They contain the floorplate and followers. It is not your springs I think, because switching followers worked.
I'll definitely give this a shot. When I said that I switched the followers, I switched the springs as well. That may have been my mistake. I swapped the entire "guts" instead of just the follower.

I'm not trying to rag on CMI or 44mag here. Just trying to figure out what my next steps should be to fix this up. I want to make sure my stuff is in 100% working order for when I need to put it to use.

I have some travel to do this week, but I've emailed 44mag and will see what feedback they can offer.

Thanks to all for the info. I'll follow up in this thread as soon as I can (late this week).

·
Honorable Discharge
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So to follow up (since I was traveling last week and didn't get to take care of this as quickly as I would have liked):

Of the 3 mags, 1 somehow fixed itself through my tinkering and is working 100% of the time. All good.

The other two still aren't functioning properly. I took a quick video with my cell phone and sent the link to 44mag. Mark was quick to respond and gave me a few things to check into. I did that, but no such luck.

Subsequently, Mark requested I ship the other 2 that still aren't functioning back to him. I did that today. Hopefully he'll have them Friday or Monday and let me know what's going on. He's going to replace them with two new ones.

If he gets them and figures out what the issue is, I'll definitely reply back and let everyone know. It's great to have 8 functioning magazines, but I definitely want all 10 to be working.

I still have faith in the CMI mags. So much so that I picked up some more from the sale that was over in the PX. Can't wait to get those and try them out as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.