M14 Forum banner

CMC Trigger - Brief Report

2392 4
Aloha!

Yesterday, I finally got a chance to see how the Chip McCormick (CMC) SM trigger worked in my rifle. First, I purchased the single stage curved SM trigger.

I was very cautious yesterday, because I had installed the CMC trigger in my AR-10T.

The first round did not ignite the primer. I removed the round after waiting a minute or so, and inspected the round. There was a dimple in the primer, so I rechambered the round and this time it fired normally. I did several single round loads and function from that point was fine... so I put 2 then 3 rounds in the magazine to see if I would get "doubling"... Not a one! :lol: After the first round not firing (which BTW was a reloaded cartridge, all function fine thereafter and all factory and M118LR rounds fired very well. My old magazine problems seems to have gone away as well... no feed problems yesterday! Hmmm... I wonder is there is any correlation?

Satisfied that the trigger was performing well, I went to work in really seeing what this trigger was like... IMHO, the trigger performed excellent! The single stage was predictable although light in trigger pull weight. Was it smooth and crisp? Again, in my opinion, it was perfect for what I wanted.

Along side the AR-10T, I was shooting my bolt gun which has a Jewell, 1# trigger and the AR-10T, triggerwise, could hold its own.

Installation was easy and straight forward. I am not a very experienced AR person, but I found the installation very simple. In fact, it was "drop in" easy! :lol: As for any instructions? None other than a simple sheet included with the trigger... but on line research gave me all the information that I needed regardless. But CMC could be MUCH MORE clearer on full installation procedures...

Would I recommend this trigger? Well, the single stage trigger is very light and I think they do well on target type AR rifles but I would not recommend this trigger (being too light) for new or inexperienced shooters. Definitely this would work well in competition type shooting.

The key question was... if the hammer width fit an AR-10 bolt with a much more narrow channel, and the answer is "yes" it does. At least in my AR-10T.

Good Luck and I hope you all have the same results that I had with this "new and innovative" AR fire control system!

Aloha,

Tom O.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
dighawaii said:
Installation was easy and straight forward. I am not a very experienced AR person, but I found the installation very simple. In fact, it was "drop in" easy! :lol: As for any instructions? None other than a simple sheet included with the trigger... but on line research gave me all the information that I needed regardless. But CMC could be MUCH MORE clearer on full installation procedures...
They no doubt did this to try and keep everyone safer with less legal liability on them. I remember reading that it should be installed/checked by an experienced gunsmith. My guess is they wanted someone to just let a gunsmith do the whole thing. Thanks for the range report. Been waiting for one. Did it help shrink your groups any?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aloha OD.45:

The groups did come in... one of the problems that I had was that the original trigger on the AR-10 was horrible and inconsistent in pull, and I would get flyers or groups consistent with a bad trigger... it was just too difficult before to get anything solid and consistent and my groups ran about 1 - 2 MOA with the flyers.

In the test that I just did (although preliminary) my groups hovered around .75 - 1 MOA but were consistent. I did not have any uncalled flyers like before.

If this trigger didn't work as expected, a Jewell was next on my list. But at this point, I will need to really run this rifle through the wringer and I suspect it will be more than good enough.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't yet as I am still setting up my new work shop, but I will as soon as I can find the darn thing!

Right now, I have my tools, supplies and whathaveyou's all over the place!

Will get it posted soon. But I can guess that it will be less than 3#.

Aloha,

Tom O.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.