M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took up a habit of dropping a round straight into my chamber before closing the bolt or dropping it on top of the mag and then closing the bolt on my R700.

I've read that you shouldn't do this with mag-fed handguns since this can damage the extractor, but will it do the same on a bolt action rifle? I.e. an R700?

·
Premium Member
17,024 Posts
Been doing it that way with my R700 for ever. Now that I have said that watch something break.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
It's okay on an R700, but you don't want to do it on bolt guns with controlled feed actions; Mausers and some Winchesters for examples.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK with push feeds. Not recommended for some CRF rifles, like a true Mauser 98. Some CRF, like the 1903, are designed for it.
Ok, good to know. Thanks for your guys' response. My bolt is push-feed.

But how do the extractors differ in either system? From a short YouTube video I watched, a push-feed extractor "snaps" over the rim (which is fine apparently), but a CRF extractor has to have the rim slid into it?

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
The push feed extractor is inside the bolts face, whereas the CRF has a large external extractor alongside the bolt body and has not much room to move. Most are not designed to snap over, but can be beveled to do so by someone who knows their stuff.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Correct (mostly). All push feed extractors snap over the cartridge rim.

Some CRF extractors will snap over the rim, some require the rim to slide up behind it. It all depends on whether the extractor is flexible and beveled. True Mauser 98 (locking) extractors are not designed to snap over the rim. I believe the Springfield and Ruger designs are intended to do so.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Not sure about Mk!! Rugers, but the first model 77 does have a Mauser type extractor but its a push feed action. 1903's? Well, my Rem A3 will snap over, but my RIA will not. I dont believe it was designed to do so, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
If your RIA has a magazine cut-off, it was designed to be single fed and snap over the rim. ;)

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Of course it does have a mag cut off, but thats not the purpose of it. Its purpose is to allow single loading while maintaining a full magazine but not stripping off those rounds as the bolt head remains over the top of the top cartridge, not allowing it up to the extractor. My RIA will not feed a round unless mag fed. It will not snap over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correct (mostly). All push feed extractors snap over the cartridge rim.

Some CRF extractors will snap over the rim, some require the rim to slide up behind it. It all depends on whether the extractor is flexible and beveled. True Mauser 98 (locking) extractors are not designed to snap over the rim. I believe the Springfield and Ruger designs are intended to do so.
Awesome. Thanks for all the insight.

So, in my case at least, it is perfectly safe to have a round in the chamber before closing the bolt instead of feeding from the mag.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
If your RIA has a magazine cut-off, it was designed to be single fed and snap over the rim. ;)
Upon reflection and a good nights sleep, I think I must stand corrected on this Kurt. I was half right here I think. If the magazine is full, the purpose of the cutt off: then there would logically be no way for CRF to take place, so the only way single loading could occur is pop a round in the chamber and close the bolt. (y) That my RIA wont do that sort of tainted my brain last night! :confused:

·
Registered
517 Posts
RIAs should be no different than Springfields or Remingtons in their ability for the rifle to chamber a cartridge with the magazine cut-off engaged.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
I agree but mine wont for whatever reason. With 5 down and cut off engaged, it will not snap over a round placed in the chamber manually, period.

It bothers me not though as I prefer to feed from the mag either way. Not something I will worry about or try to fix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts