M14 Forum banner

Click, no bang sometimes on SA M1A Scout Squad

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  KurtC 
#1 ·
I have a new-ish (less than 100 rounds) Springfield M1A Scout Squad. It is a great shooter, but I have an intermittent problem with it. I will pull the trigger and hear (and feel) a click, but the round is not fired. The primer has NO indentation in it. This happens more often on the first round than any other. I am using the Springfield steel 10 round magazine. I do slingshot the action from bolt hold open position (i.e. I don't baby it into position). The ammo is mixed surplus 7.62x51 (i.e. German, Israeli South African, etc). I did both tilt tests to make sure that the action was not binding in any way. It is very smooth with no hangups. Is this what happens if you try to fire and the bolt is not completely in battery? I had not thought to see if the action was fully closed at the time of the problem. My instinct was to rack and fire the next round. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Start by making sure your chamber is clean......could be some minor debris or manufacturing residue keeping it from fully going in to battery.....does it function fine on all the rest of the rounds in the mag?........also make sure it is not one specific type of ammo.......I had a LOT of trouble with some Syrian ammo I once had........finally gave what was left to my brother in law......his L1A1 chewed it up like candy

Good luck!

#5 ·
Ammo

I've had the same issue in mine. It only occurs when using some 1980's Malasian
ball. WHY it does that I do not know.

#7 ·
Reviving a dead thread...

So I took the easy route of calling up the nice folks at Springfield and letting them know my problems with the Scout Squad. They e-mailed me a shipping label and I shipped the gun back to them. Two weeks later I received A rifle back from them. I say A rifle instead of THE rifle because they replaced the receiver. I wonder what could've been screwed up enough on the old one for them to simply replace it with a new one. Once thing I did notice on the new rifle is that the barrel is timed much better (i.e. the raised edge between the feed ramps is centered at 6 o'clock). I am hoping to take it out in the next few weekends and test it out. With a four month old at home, shooting opportunities are few and far between.
Thanks for all the advice. I am glad I sent it back to the mother ship. I suspect I might be very frustrated right now otherwise.

#8 ·
The firing pin or bolt lugs could have been hanging up on the receiver. It could also have been excessive headspace. Whatever the issue was, it was more cost effective to send out a new one rather than trying to fix the old one. Their Customer Service is top notch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.