M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happen to spot Bill Riccas post about removal of the stubborn gas plug and it brought to mind something that I was taught way back when while in the Marine Corps ...

Now I could very well be wrong here but I have to admit that since taking over ownership of Devine # 000529 in the late seventies I gotta tell ya that "not once" have I ever cracked open the gas system on this weapon. I honestly do not know how many rounds I have put thru this over the past twenty some years but I would venture to say that it has'nt been a "whole bunch" ...

Either way my gas piston very easily slides back and forth when tipping the barreled action in a teeter-totter fashion and from what I was taught in the Corps they advised us that as long as the gas piston "freely moves" in this manner to "leave it alone" and that is exactly what I have done ...

The weapon functions absolutely flawlessly every time so I figure ...

"If it ain't broke ... Don't fix it ... Or even try to fix it" ....

Leave it be and so I have done so for all that time ...

Your thoughts ... :?:

Six

·
Registered
846 Posts
i haven't cleaned my gas cylinder in a couple years.... still moves freely. once it doesn't then i will clean it....

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here fubar or at least thats the way I was taught anyway ...

Across the street you see numerous posts about folks "constantly" speaking of cleaning their gas systems all the time and I have'nt touched mine in over twenty years ... Hmmmm

Six

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha SixT:

I pull the gas cylinder apart at least once. And, that is when I receive a rifle. Since I have been buying used rifles, I really don't know what to really expect when I receive a new "used" rifle.

As a precaution, I take everything apart except for the smallest of parts and inspect them. Many times, I have received rifles with really "grundgy" gas cylinders and pistons. To make the slate "clean", I inspect and clean all of the parts then reassemble. This way I know what condition everything is in.

Since, I "fiddle" with my rifles a bit, many times it requires that the FH and gas cylinder assembly be removed, so when that occurs, I take the time to again inspect all parts and clean if necessary before reassembling them.

Generally, I think rifles NOT frequently shot do not need to have the gas cylinders inspected or cleaned. But the ones that go to the range all the time should periodically have this checked. And, I really don't want my semi-auto to become a single shot at the wrong time... especially at the range where I don't have the tools to properly fix the problem... :lol:

The converse is that I think that frequent cleaning of the gas cylinder could cause some damage. I think there are several things that could get messed up if the gas cylinder was disassembled and cleaned too often...

In any case, I am sure everyone has their own formula of when and how often the gas cylinder needs to be inspected and cleaned... and I am sure that "...if it ain't broke, don't fix it" works... :lol:

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased a M1A Loaded Standard from S/A this passed March , with it I received a Rifle Manual and it conciders Gas system disassembly "Normal Maintenance" I clean mine after every Range shoot . But at the same time I am new to this rifle and someone with more experience might have better Information . :roll: I was taught that "a Clean weapon , is an Accurate weapon " :D Semper Fi

·
Registered
14 Posts
Upon further review , Looking over the TM 9 - 1005 - 223 - 12 Tech manual , I found This . Note. The gas cylinder aasembly will be disassembled when inspection reveals that the piston will no longer move within the cylinder under its own weight when the barrel is tilted end for end in an upright position . The practice of disassembly after each firing and for routine inspection is not necessary . Semper Fi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts