M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Pretty dumb question. But I’m betting my last dollar somebody on here has the answer.
I bought a cleaning kit set for my M1A. It’s got that cloth wrapped cleaning rods n stuff. That little plastic jar that I have no idea what its for. A small tool for what looks like taking the gas cap off. And that little ratchet bore cleaning tool. Im having trouble figuring out how they are all properly stowed in the buttstock.
can anybody provide a picture of how they go in?

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,619 Posts
The chamber brush goes in the end of the multi tool, the part that looks like a flash hider. the plastic jar should be double ended and gets rifle grease in the small end and oil in the big end, I think. then I think the tool/chamber brush and the oil/grease bottle goes in the top hole of the stock and the cleaning rod sections in the pouch goes in the bottom but I may be wrong, somebody that knows more then me should be along soon.

eQ

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Wrap a dowel in sandpaper and open up the compartments a little if you have trouble. Or just get an Otis kit or Bore snake for a quick pull through at the range

as for the chamber brush, just don’t ratchet too hard. A clean chamber is a happy chamber!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
One thing that should be mentioned is that the original M1 and M14 cleaning rod kits have a specific 3.0" long patch holder - but most of the cleaning kits you see for sale on eBay seem to have the longer 3.5" patch holder that was designed for the long 1-piece cleaning rod.

Why is this part important? You can not properly store the cleaning kit in an M14 buttstock with the longer patch holder. (EDIT/correction: the length of the brass bore brush will determine what patch holders will work best, and if one uses the 3.25" M1 Garand bore brushes, they will need the shorter patch holder. If you can find 3.0" brushes, then the 3.5" patch holder will work. Original M14 bore brushes from early 1960s were only 2.75" long, but seem hard to find now as most are 3.0" or longer...).

Note: The clear plastic spacer to hold together the patch or "swap" holder and bronze brush is also often missing.
Line Office supplies Writing implement Font Metal

...fyi from 1963 re that little plastic spacer...
Motor vehicle Font Parallel Automotive exterior Illustration

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
EXHIBIT 1

TM 9-1005-223-10 - Operator's Manual for Rifle, 7.62mm, M14 & M14A1 (w/ chg 2, 8 May 1973, the latest revision), para B-2, Section III. Items Troop Installed on Authorized List:

1005-726-6110, Swab Holder, Sectional, Small Arms Cleaning Rod: 7266110 (19204), ea, 1

EXHIBIT 2

Drawing No. 7266110 (19204) - Holder, Swab

Application:
Next Assy: C7162920 - Cal .30, M10 Rod
Next Assy: 7790789 - Comb Tool w/ Cleaning Rod
Next Assy: A12002957 - MG, Cal. .30, M37
Next Assy: A12002944 - MG, 7.62mm, Fixed, M73, M73A1, M219

C-3, overall length: 3.500 -.015

EXHIBIT 3

Drawing No. 7266109 - Section Cleaning Rod

Application:
Next Assy: C7162920 - Cal .30, M10 Rod
Next Assy: 7790789 - Comb Tool w/ Cleaning Rod
Next Assy: A12002957 - MG, Cal. .30, M37
Next Assy: A12002944 - MG, 7.62mm, Fixed, M73, M73A1, M219

C-3, overall length: 6.305 -.015

EXHIBIT 4

Springfield Armory photograph (circa 1959) showing layout of an early cleaning kit: You can clearly see by cut-and-paste that two of the patch holders are longer than the cleaning rod. In fact, they are 10% longer than the cleaning rods, which means with cleaning rods 6.3" long the patch holder is 3.5" long. (Don't take my word for it, download the photo and take your own measurements.

Font Parallel Rectangle Tool Document

EXHIBIT 5

Springfield Armory photograph of Caliber .30 cleaning equipment (circa 1958): Note that "Section", P/N 6147417 is shorter that "Cleaning Patch Holder", P/N 7266110, and appears to be approximately 3.0 inches long. If you search for "Section", P/N 6147414, in the technical literature, it is usually listed as part of the cleaning kit with an M3 (one-piece, 6535420), or M2 (3-piece, 6508237) Cleaning Rod.

Font Rectangle Parallel Stationery Service

CONCLUSION:

The part specified in the manual is the 3.5 inch long type of patch holder. The original patch holder was 3.5 inches long. You have it backwards, the short patch holder was kitted with the one-piece cleaning rod, and the M1 and M14 have always been issued the long patch holder

And BTW, the little plastic space tube is part of P/N 7267754, Case, Cleaning Rod w/ Spacer, made up from: Case, 7790906, and Spacer, 7790303

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
The part specified in the manual is the 3.5 inch long type of patch holder. The original patch holder was 3.5 inches long. You have it backwards, the short patch holder was kitted with the one-piece cleaning rod, and the M1 and M14 have always been issued the long patch holder
Well, I assure you from practical experience that one can not fit a 3.3+" USGI bronze bore brush along with the 3.5" patch holder into the buttstock of a USGI M14 stock...I was frustrated by this with my M1 Garand projects until years ago when Bill Ricca explained the 3.0" vs 3.5" patch holder issue. It was a light bulb going off - my kits had the 3.5" holder and I couldn't stow the cleaning kit in the bottom compartment hole and close the trap door as the bronze brush was sticking out about 3/8" too far. I had to resort to using a shorter commercial bronze brush (less than 3" long was the only way to do it), and I didn't understand the issue until I was enlightened.

That said, the key variable is the length of the bronze brush. The top vintage 1959 pic has a noticeably short bronze brush, I'd guess less than 3 inches. It doesn't have a part number shown, which is too bad, as it doesn't look like the USGI brushes I own, or have seen. In contrast, the bottom vintage pic has what I consider a "typical" USGI bronze bore brush which is about 3.3 to 3.4" long. There is some slight variation in length based on my observations. Below dirty brush on top came out of a dirty cleaning kit from a CMP M1 Garand, so I'm 100% sure it's USGI - with patina to show it. It's about 3.33x inches long. Bottom is supposedly USGI and appears to be a max length at 3.40"
Circuit component Coil Font Measuring instrument Electronic device

With the 3" patch holder and brush about 3.3x" inches long, it will just fit into the bottom compartment in a 1963 SA M14 stock, as shown here. (Top compoartment hole has the multi-tool, chamber brush, and plastic oil, plus a patch).
Automotive lighting Auto part Automotive design Telephone Automotive tire

However, take that same cleaning kit but simply substitute a 3.5" patch holder and re-install it in the bottom compartment looks like this...which bugged me for a long time until Ricca explained it:
Microphone Shoe Helmet Automotive lighting Door

Different angle:
Gas Audio equipment Auto part Metal Home appliance

The only way to close that trap door with a 3.5" patch holder and 3.3x" USGI bronze brush would be with a rubber mallet - and it would bend or seriously deform the brush along the way. I will not be conducting that experiment.
Camera accessory Audio equipment Gas Electronic device Metal

The reason is simple - it's about 3/8" to 1/2" too long, and simply not flush with the sectional cleaning rods. Note, this is with a USGI brush that came out of a May 1945 package...
Finger Cuisine Gas Ammunition belt Gas stove

Assumption; I have only 2 sets of USGI bore brushes that I can validate the manufacturing date and length. One is dated May 1945 for the M1 Garand, and the other came out of a NOS 1970 dated M14A1 cleaning kit. In pic, top is a 1945 brush, middle is the used USGI brush of unknown date that came out of a CMP M1 Garand, and bottom is the NOS brush from 1970, per the green M14A1 cleaning kit in the background. Length around 3.3x"-3.4x"
Wood Font Gas Bullet Metal

Apologizes for the verbosity in my post, but I might have an odd interest in collecting M1 and M14 cleaning kits, etc. Fwiw, The top and bottom green cases are the so-called "long thong" cases used w/ the M1 Garand. The 4 in the middle are what Bill Ricca called the "short-thong" cases used on the M14. All of the bronze brushes in these cases use the 3" patch holder - except the bottom one which I substituted for the longer 3.5" patch holder as a test. It didn't fit in the M14 buttstock either... Below that bottom green case is the 3.0" patch holder and you can see its the same length as the sectional rods. That is what is needed for a proper fit that equals the length of the cleaning rod sections.
Wood Gas Rectangle Metal Tool

Bottom line: I think Bill Ricca had it right. These cases require the 3" patch holder - if a regular length (edit: M1 Garand) USGI brush is being used - and if one wants to use the bottom compartment hole for these USGI sectional cleaning rod kits. The top hole is deeper and you can use the 3.5" patch holder in that space, but one then can't use the bottom hole to hold the 3 other tools as its too short (Multi-tool, chamber brush + plastic oiler bottle). And that is why I have 6 of the basically useless 3.5" patch holders, and why I always insist on 3" patch holders when I buy an M14 cleaning kit. My 2cts.

On edit (1/4/2021): Top brush is original M14 brush that came out of that 1963 wrapper. It's only 2.75" long and has very dense bristles, whereas most USGI bore brushes these days are 3.0" long, as shown below it. The length of the bore brush drives what patch holder works best in an M1/M14 buttstock.
Font Auto part Metal Household hardware Fashion accessory

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Does anyone actually use this kit? I always hear the steel rods can damage the barrel.. I have only used the chamber brush
I collect them and have them in my vintage M1 and M14 stocks - but I have never used the cleaning rods. I only use the chamber brush. I use Dewey rods which have a plastic coating and are one-piece.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
You are correct, as is Bill Ricca. The bore brush used with the M14 is 3 inches in length while the WWII bore brush is longer and will not fit in the M14 buttstock. The correct patch holder is also 3 inches in length which makes the overall length of the two, properly assembled with the plastic connector, equivalent in length to a cleaning rod section. I am attaching a photo of the correct bore brushes for the M14. Also, there can be errors in GI manuals with respect to identification of items such as patch holders. Little attention was given to these items in the manuals as they were peripheral to the rifle, and once an error made it's way into a manual it was difficult to recognize and correct it. This is the situation with the patch holder which is, more often than not, mis-identified in M14 manuals.
Font Circuit component Art Fashion accessory Metal
Handwriting Font Gas Rectangle Cylinder

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Thanks for that info. So M14 brushes are about 3.0" and the earlier M1 brushes are about 3.3" Each M10 sectional cleaning rod is about 6 1/4", so 3" is the proper length for the patch holder - if the goal is to have the patch holder+plastic spacer+bore brush to also equal approx 6" to 6 1/4" in overall length. Once you hit 6.6" to 6.7" inches in overall length, the trap door will not be able to close... Anyhow, my advice when buying a vintage M14 cleaning kit? Insist on the 3" patch holder...

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Patch Holder, P/N 7266110 is the only patch holder mentioned in both the M1 ad M14 Operator's Manual, the drawing states that this patch holder is 3.5 inches long. And, not correcting this for 75 years would be a serious neglect of duty on the part of the those in charge of support equipment...

If properly fitted to the proper tube, the patch holder, P/N 7266110, Spacer, P/N 7790303, and Brush, P/N 5564174, are the same length as a cleaning rod section. See below:

Product Wood Font Tool Rectangle

The installed brush is from a box dated around 1970, the newer looking one is a new production brush P/N 5564174.

As you can see it all fits quite nicely in the pouch, and all the parts are the same length:

Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Table Gas

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
And just to show that the 3.5 inch patch holder and the proper brush fit in the butt well:

Wood stock:

Camera accessory Automotive tire Camera lens Cameras & optics Gas

Helmet Eyewear Material property Gadget Office equipment

Electronic instrument Automotive design Eyewear Automotive exterior Audio equipment

Fiberglass stock:

Camera lens Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Gadget

Eyewear Cap Bumper Gadget Helmet

Gadget Communication Device Audio equipment Eyewear Watch

The M1 manual says used the 3.5 inch patch holder, the M14 manual says to use the 3.5 inch patch holder, and Springfield Armory's pictures show the 3.5 inch patch holder. So, as my Drill Sergeant used to say:

"If you can't get it to work, maybe it's you."

Patch Holder, P/N 4266110 is the correct patch holder for both the M1 and M14 cleaning kit.

Oh, and by the way, Section, P/N 6147417 (the short patch holder) was deleted from the supply system in the early 1960s, care to guess what the "procure in lieu of" P/N is?.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd also encourage you to read up on all the other neat tricks that combination tool can do, besides being a handle for the cleaning rod and a wrench for the gas plug. You can actually use it to depress the ejector and pop the ejector loose to disassemble the bolt (just be prepared to go to a gunsmith to buy replacement ejector plungers because they fly across the room when removed this way - the dedicated Brownell's tool is much more reliable way to disassemble the bolt if you ever want to).

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Oh, and here is a WW2 Caliber .30 bore brush compared to a Brush, P/N 5564174:

Wood Font Metal Auto part Insect

P/N 5564174 is the top one, two things use pop out to you: 1) the WW2 one is about 1/2 inch longer, and 2) the WW2 one has a tighter spiral and more bristles.

·
Registered
15,170 Posts
Does anyone actually use this kit? I always hear the steel rods can damage the barrel.. I have only used the chamber brush
If used properly (FM 23-8, Ch 5) it will not damage the bore. As per the manual, you insert a bare rod down the muzzle and attach the brush or patch holder at the breech. Pull the assembly forward and out.

Too many GI's and civilians do it the lazy way, shoving the brush or patch holder in from the muzzle. The resistance forces the rod to contact the bore surface, possibly doing damage.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts