M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at filters/purifiers for a long time now.

Looked at British Berkey and newer Black Berkey (that has had problems) for home use.

I have used a MSR mini works for many years now in the woods, works great reliable, but a little slow. also smaller is available now. The MSR is a keeper and I have extra filter/rebuild kit. It WORKS.

For portable I decided to get a 4 -pak of the Sawyer mini filter. 3 oz mass, can hook up to bottle or a straw from a stream, 0.10 micron (not for viruses). One will go in the truck, one for the day pack which follows me everywhere, one for small BOB, one for large backpack/large BOB.

For home I got the 0.02 micron Sawyer purifier with bucket adapter that will do viruses. I will adapt it to a two bucket 5-gal and a two "bucket" 55-gal systems, the latter in the basement, the former portable. I can gravity feed the 55-gal system from my rainwater collection which is over 1000 gal or use a nearby stream (that is spring fed).

Sawyer claims 1 million gallon guarantee for both, simple back flush cleaning from a syringe or tap, more surface area and life-span than the british berkey.

The 0.02 micron purifier claims 170 gal/day flow, and it is also small enough to use in a backpack/field situation, but bigger than the mini filter. They also make a similar 0.10 micron filter with higher flow (540gal/day)

For the 55-gal basement system I can add additional clean barrels, and plan on making a sand/activated carbon pre filter to feed the top "grey" barrel. Properly made these sand filters can act as purifiers themselves and the carbon will remove most organics.

What you think of this plan? I've about $200 into all the filters and can build the rest from food grade containers and plumbing. The rainwater system is in place.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A home-based filter is high up on my list of needs. Very excited to buy a house in the near future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.