M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
..Mounted my brand new Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm with TMR onto my current deer rifle a Remington 700 SPS stainless in 308.
The rifle is stock with exception of glass bedding, trigger pull decreased to about lbs. and barrel free floated ( my own amateur gunsmithing)

The load was 178gr A-max, over 40.0gr H4895, Win brass neck sized, CCI LR 200 Primers. 2.800 COL, Concentric to within .001

I was in some 10 mph gusting winds but I was collecting drop data by 100yd increments.

I set out several clay pigeons onto the hillside and walked back till 200yds. too easy..

then 300, then 400, then 500, writing down the MOA I had to adjust my scope for that load until I was hitting the targets.

But after collecting my drop data I was walking from 300 to 500, adjusting the dials, and disintegrating those clays first round hit very consistently.

The misses were mere inches, and all misses would still be kills if the target was deer....

Because of the wind I was limited to this distance as 600yds was all over the place.

Very glad I dropped the coin on a long range scope, even if it's not the best out there.

This deer season will have a much better chance at shots past 300yds

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Shootin'. Would be something to take a deer at 400 yards after making a wind call and doping your scope.
With the same rifle and a standard 3-9x40 scope I took a buck on public land in CA 2 years ago ranged at 397 yds. I have been using "kentucky windage" for years.

I have also glassed big bucks who have bedded down in area's that are unapproachable without busting them. Thats how they got to be big and old I guess. I was not able to take those shots cause the closest I could get was 700yds. No wind, flat shot, I couldnt do it. I took pics through my scope at the does that were feeding around him for hours waiting for him to stand up and come closer but he stayed bedded well past shooting light. That made me consider the optics, and practice to shoot further.

So here I am.....

PS yes that is an M1A that your looking through......it's a great deer shooter, especially when they are runnin!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.