M14 Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
m1a for self defence

just my two cents I like the idea of being able to shoot through walls and throught car doors plus if he rounds he best be able to out that bullet. I set one my rifles by painting it camo plus a big scope I think if you make it look imtimateing you may not have to use it

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pretty much THIS.

For a Condo: No
For a Farm: Yes

In between you really need to consider over-penetration (influencing your round selection) and ease of maneuvering.
iceman00, hello from Virginia. As I type this, my SOCOM is 4 ' away, next to the M1A. I LIKE them, and they would stop the heck out of most of what you would need to stop in rural Austria, I would think. Just remember this, if you ever have to light off a SOCOM inside a nice solid house, try and listen carefully to the night sounds before you pull the trigger the first time, it will be the last time you hear about 10% of what you heard before!

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, for the sole reason that .308 laughs at drywall, brick, cinder blocks, and car doors. I don't want to end up paying for property damage at an apartment complex or my neighbor's medical bills in a justified home defense situation.

If you live alone in the woods, yes. It brings down deer, it has been used as a military round since it's introduction. .308 is devastating in gel blocks and is very effective against both hard and soft targets. It's simply the fact that the bullet has the potential to keep going and hit something else that makes me discount the option of firing it in anger outside of a hunting or M/P application.

·
Forum Jester
6,878 Posts
m1 carbine. accepts 30 rd mags(if you have the m2 mag catch),potent little cartridge, swings better inside the house,and you can buttstroke if needed.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Gentlemen, it kind of boils down to this - the 7.62 NATO cartridge is very effective in many ways but there are much better choices for home defense. If all you have is an M1A SOCOM, you have to use what you have in an emergency. However, if you can chose another more suitable weapon for home defense, that's the prudent thing to do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In my 20's I fired a .44 mag out the window of my kitchen. I have had ringing in my years ever since. Severe hearing loss.....That was 35 years ago. If you can avoid it, you should. Find a better option.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts