61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
rem 870

I keep a Remington 870 with 6 shot.
For in the house it will do all I want.
Close range it blows through 2x4s
Outside of the range it’s not self defense most of the time.

I have a friend who shot a guy robbing his store
Boy what he went through,
The County Attorney ruled it self defense within 24 hours.
After all the civil actions he was exhausted.
The criminal had a crime list a mile long.
Still the robbing a Ropes and climbing shop was too much temptation for him.

Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
hurricane alley

The 16 is a bit much for inside. I live in a hurricane prone area (South Florida). I use a 18" 12 ga for home defense as well as a hand gun. A few years back it seemed we had a hurricane every few weeks. I was out of electric for 2 to 3 weeks each time a storm hit. The neighborhood had "critters" coming through looking for supplies. I did not have my 16 at the time, did not think I needed anything more than a shotgun. A police friend of mine said the .308 goes through the door , the .223 need to be "eyes on" ....I went out a year and a half ago and bought my socom 16. Use what you have , bring enough gun !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
since iam in alaska and all ready have a scout model with a ebr stock for use in my homestead defense if i need to use it as need plus what i call a around rifle for use as need ...

i use partivan 145 grain fmj round for field use as need along with a horandy tap rounds for self defense if need be

along with 25 round magazine with a ebr stock for use along with open sites for use around the homestead..

·
Registered
8 Posts
for it not two legged typles of animals in alaska..its the four legged typle of animals like bears and moose animals that are the biggest problem with your moveing around in the bush sometimes up here....
i also keep a 1911 pistol in the cabin for personal use in town for ccw carry along a sw 329pd 44 mag revolver in a chest holster on me all the time when out on the land around the cabin doing things if need be .. ..
for it bears or moose that in heat or in the rut or a bear that looking for food that can be a problem ..with moose it them thinking that you are on there territory about some areas around the cabin
and bears it somethings are just hard to explain to a person ..
a couple of warning shots in the air sometimes is eough to get the bear to move on down the line away from you ..
but when it the two legged typles of problems it nice to have 25.rds of problem solvers on hand to deal with them ..

·
Registered
51 Posts
It sounds like you set your mind on M1A.
How about scout model? barrel is only 2 inches longer than socom but has everything standard/classic m1a has.
Either choice you make, you won't be disapointed.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
930 Mossberg. 12 guage. 18.5" barrel. 8 shells of #4 high brass. 1000 lumen mounted flashlight.

I would take this platform over virtually any AR/M14/AK/etc. for home defense. Period.

But you should buy an M14 platform rifle.... Cuz awesome.

·
Registered
630 Posts
930 Mossberg. 12 guage. 18.5" barrel. 8 shells of #4 high brass. 1000 lumen mounted flashlight.

I would take this platform over virtually any AR/M14/AK/etc. for home defense. Period.

But you should buy an M14 platform rifle.... Cuz awesome.
^^^^^^What he said!

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
12 year old post
Not quite a record for M14 forum but close!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
It’s a great platform for “keep ‘em far away so they don’t enter your home” weapon. Inside? No way. Shotgun or a good semi-auto pistol or revolver. Rifles and inside the home is overkill to the nth degree.

But if that’s all you got, it’s better than a baseball bat!

·
Forum Jester
6,878 Posts
choosing the best home defense depends on your location and surroundings.
if your out in the boonies,choices would different compared to in the city. since your in austria,a full sized glock 9/45 with max capacity would be a start. working up an other inside or close in outside,a small shorty shotgun,would be next. i like the semi shock wave. the shorty makes it easier to swing in the house without striking lamps etc, and harder for somebody to grab the barrel as you go around the corner.
https://www.blackacestactical.com/
outside,you could use an ar-15 pistol,at least a 10 inch bbl,for intermediate ranges,and inside house. 223/9mm/762.39,depending on availability.
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/firearms/tactical/ar-15-and-ak-47-pistols/
outside at longer ranges,depending on your abilities,a std length ar- or m14 would work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Buying my wife and I a new home defense weapon as soon as I find one available for purchase.

Ruger PC Charger. 9mm sub gun "pistol". Will have a brace, light, and suppressor on it.

I will never fire an unsuppressed weapon indoor ever, with or without hearing protecting.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,021 Posts
Where I had a house out in the sticks my Socom would definitely be the gun to have.

1. Home invasions with multiple attackers are common anymore. 20 rounds without reloading beats handgun magazine capacity.
2. 911 response time in some areas here or depending where officers are when the call comes are routinely 30+ minutes. I have called 911 and it has been busy, or no answer several times. When the cops respond to a call of armed intruders they will have a rifle.
3. Felons are routinely on meth, heroin, and other hardcore drugs that desensitize pain and erase reasoning abilities, and they will likely continue to try to kill you after being shot. If you don't prepare you are gambling, I'd rather have a round that can take down a deer.
4. If your main gun is an M14, familiarity of operating it under stress is in your favor.
5. Violent criminals are scum, period and hold NO value on your life. I have a friend who was 30 years in law enforcement, who worked in homicide among other things, told me he keeps a loaded M14 for self defense at home, next to him at all times. After what he saw in Vietnam and working homicide, he was shocked at what human beings do to each other.
6. Many people are low income and if they have an M1A they may not have another rifle or even a pistol, it could be all they have. Also some older people are the same, I know when I get older and continue to downsize the only rifle I might have someday would likely be a Socom or Scout just because you can still target shoot steel and a long barrel M14 would be more unwieldy in a self defense scenario.
7. Some people are this way as I was for many years, I was strictly an M14 guy, no ARs and shotguns, just didn't want them.

Now in the city and even suburbs over penetration may be an issue but careful selections of ammo or even well tested and developed handloads could be effective. Glaser safety slugs take away the argument of over penetration for sure.
Some of the older posts where the guys said someone like me is "nuts" for considering an M1A Socom for self defense, I'd bet money they have never been in situation where an individual was dead set intent on killing them, It changes your outlook on life, especially self defense.
m14brian

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with m14brian.

I no longer live in the country. I can almost touch my neighbors home and my home at the same time... (Exaggerating) ... But not by much. A shotgun slug or rifle round fired inside my house WILL stop in someone else's house.

If I still lived in the country, my defense weapon would be the most powerful weapon I had...

I also have the wife to consider. I often travel for work and am gone overnight. She too needs to be able to protect herself. She also has had extensive back surgeries. Shotguns and powerful rifles are out of the picture for her. Too much back pain.

She practices a lot with her Glock and is much better with pistols than I am. But we both agree in a self defense situation, long guns are just easier. Hence why we're getting her a sub gun and will spend a lot of time at the range practicing shooting it.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,021 Posts
It is somewhat recognized that women are naturally more comfortable and instinctually handle long guns offhand better than men, all factors and training or lack thereof being equal and as long as they're not too heavy. I couldn't believe how good a shot my ex wife was with my AKs never having prior training and shot only a couple times in her life, she was a real natural too, shot better than most of my friends. A pistol caliber carbine might be perfect for your wife, low recoiling and long gun handling characteristics. Women naturally by their build have a lower center of gravity than men and it helps in shooting handguns and long guns offhand.
m14brian

61 - 80 of 108 Posts