M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my question:

If the Class III rifle's Form 4 specifically gives barrel length as well as overall length, can I change the barrel to a shorter than 16 inch one?

If I can, do I have to contact the BATF and get the Form changed? Since the rifle is already taxed, there shouldn't be another $200 tax for a SBR, right?

The reason I am asking this is because I would like to have my second select-fire M14 converted to the M14K model with a 13" barrel and the modified M60 gas system. (See my other post for pictures.)

Thanks for any help.

azski

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
azski, once you have your second NFA M14 you won't have to pay another $200 to put a barrel less than 16 " on it. I'm not sure but I believe if you make a "permanent" change in the barrel length on a machine gun the ATF wants to know. The Bowers Board could help you on this for sure. www.subguns.com

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Sounds like a good plan Different. All the Auto's that we have, the BATF has never been concerned with barrel length. If there is nothing written on it their biggest question seems to be "What's this". We have another meeting with BATF coming up, so I could ask. :?: :?:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I did post the question on subguns as suggested. http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/mgmsg.cgi?read=350199

I only wondered because the Form 4 for my select-fire M14 specifically states that the barrel length is 25" and the overall length of the rifle is 44".

Since I make sure I have all my i's dotted and t's crossed when it comes to the BATF, I don't want to find a snag because I put a 13" barrel on my already taxed class III rifle.

azski

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
You're talking about having it converted to an M14K, right? You mean that the barrel length is only 13"? 8O 8O

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.