M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of these are on a Ford F350 or 450 chassis. Either frame will only hold so much weight. The longer it is the less weight in cargo you can carry.

Example would be a F450 frame with a 26ft body could haul more cargo then the same frame with a 31ft body.
So if you want to carry any supplies in a Class C you need to get the shortest body you can get by with.

The reason I post this is read a review on a new 2015 Class C. With full fuel & water tank & two adults it was less then 600lbs from weight limit.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Few to be found but there are class C motorhomes out there with tag axles.
My other half can't get over not looking over an engine hood with a class A.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I would recommend you and the wife rent a Class C for a week or at least a weekend.

Then rent a Class A.

Trust me, the Class A wins hands down...

Once you get used to driving one, say a day or two behind the wheel, it is not a problem.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For us, its what she is willing to drive but has to be large enough for us & the dogs but to carry enough weight incase we would need to bug out.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
The reason I post this is read a review on a new 2015 Class C. With full fuel & water tank & two adults it was less then 600lbs from weight limit.
600lbs is nothing!! that would be your clothes, a bbq pit ,cooking equipment and food. And then pray you only weigh 150lbs.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A big something that turns me off about a class c is the single air conditioner. Mostly they are 12,500BTU though some have 15,000. Best case scenario they will drop the inside temperature by 20 degrees. So if the heat index outside is 110 & the inside is 90 the AC is working properly.

Can a second AC be added as well as a larger generator? Yes, but consider cost & weight.

Driving a class c down the road in the south during summer the dash AC will help very little. I just don't see a class c fulfilling our needs but might for others.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is something else to consider when you don't have enough air conditioning. That is that the higher the ambient temperature inside the rv the more problems the frig/freezer will have working.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I researched 30-34ft class C MHs & 99% had a single AC. Some were 13,500 & others 15,000. On the other hand, only found one class A with a single AC & it was 15,000BTU in a 30ft.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you look at a particular model class C you will find it tow rating. So there is the option of a small cargo trailer with supplies. That doesn't help with the lack of living space in a class C though. Doesn't help that about half are not self contained so no generator to save on weight. And lack of water holding tank.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1972 minniewinnie a guy picked up cheap. Trailered it home because the engine wasn't running right & worried about the 14 year old tires. Cleaned up the carb & engine then ran fine but had to get a rebuild kit for the generator.
Looks like a fun project.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why do you need a generator if you are always going to stay the night where there is commercial power? You need that generator for power to operate the roof AC driving down the road. Without it you would only have the dash AC which isn't going to help a lot. That is a big issue in the south. And for heating you might have a electric heat strip. But even with a LP gas heater you still need electricity for the fans.

In a MH website for class C those in the south that have purchased one without a generator have regretted it. Only option is with just two people was to install a curtain to keep the cool air from the dash AC up in the cab.

Another issue is slide outs. Though when parked that adds additional living space there is also the additional weight of them. The more slide out space the less cargo you can carry.

And most experienced class C owners say leave home with just 1/4-1/3 water capacity to save weight. Problem is though for a bug out I want to carry a lot of water.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Those Super C's are freaking awesome. I drove a lot of those from Salt Lake up to Jackson for a rental company and it was surprisingly easy to drive given its size. Had plenty of power but in a broken arrow situation i'm not sure if I would take it on anything less than a well well well groomed dirt road.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think most of the super Cs are diesel & that makes them excessively heavy. Driving anything on a dirt road, a lot has to do with the driver's experience.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think I can alter the floor plan of any class C to suit our needs. Just need that tag axle to handle the weight capacity we want.

The Coachman is a 32ft & has a small slide out. The Cobra is a 30ft but I think would be easier to modify for our needs. Both have single AC & 4,000watt generators.

Main thing is removing the couch/sofa & installing two heavy duty dog crates.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I made a phone call to a class C manufacturer & luckily actually got ahold of someone that actually knew what they were talking about. I got a lot of sales pitch on why to get a super C but my questions were answered.

Why only one AC even in a longer class C? Weight savings.

Why a small 12.5 or 13.5K AC? Weight & cost.

Those that have a generator, why only 4KW? Weight.

After each answer I got a spill why a super C was better & addressed such problem.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.