M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not an AR-10 or an AR-15, but I did not know what section to post this under. Hope you read and find the information useful.

SIG Sauer’s Civilian-Friendly MCX-Spear — SHOT Show 2023
by Riley Baxter on January 16, 2023

SIG Sauer’s MCX-Spear will soon be available for the general public to purchase. This is the same great platform that won the Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW) contract with the U.S. Military, but with a twist.

The MCX-Spear that is sold to the public will not be full-auto select fire, unfortunately, and they will be available in .308 Winchester, 6.5 x 48 Creedmoor, or 6.8 x 51.

You can expect to be able to purchase the MCX-Spear chambered in .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor before February, while it will take a bit longer for the .277 Sig Fury chambering to hit the shelf.

The manufacturer suggested retail price is going to be $4,199.00, so start saving now!

Read more, see pictures and watch the video at: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/civilian-sig-sauer-mcx-spear-shot-show-2023/

· Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It looks like a nice Sig Sauer rifle. But I would take two Springfield M-1A 7.62 x 51 rifles for $3,000 over this Sig M-5. It is far too expensive in my opinion.

· Registered
5,397 Posts
Fyi: The Army changed the name from XM5 to M7, as apparently Colt is already offering an "M5" rifle.
Originally dubbed the M5, the Army changed course after learning Colt Industries makes a 5.56mm carbine rifle known as the M5, according to a news release from the Army’s Project Manager Soldier Lethality program located at Picatinny Arsenal, N.J.

The Army’s M7 uses 6.8mm ammunition, which also is used in the service’s new automatic rifle — the M250. That weapon will replace the M249 squad automatic weapon.

Both new weapons now have an “X” designation before their names, which is given to an item before it has been fully tested and cleared for production, according to Army standards. Once the Army determines the rifles are ready to produce and field, the X will be dropped.

· Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a silly reason to change the M-5 name to the M-7. The M-5 made by Colt was never widely adopted by the military was it? If so, I never heard of that.

I just read the Colt M-5 is manufactured in 5.56 x 45, .300 AAC Blackout and 7.62 x 39.

· Registered
5,397 Posts
The nomenclature change is new, but I guess someone raised “M5 rifle” as a copyright issue? No idea if Colt has sold their M5 Carbines/rifles to foreign militaries or not, but if so, that might explain things. (Esp if a NATO country bought some). Just speculation on my part, only Colt knows what customers have purchased their M5 Carbines.

· Premium Member
52 Posts
The only thing I'm a fan of with this design is the suppressor. It's nice to see the military integrating that technology.
Other than that, I have nothing nice to say about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts