M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, bought a brand new citidel from the shop yesterday. Took it home and was running it through the usual gambit of function tests and whatnot and lo and behold, it had hammer follow.

I was A: able to bounce the hammer off the beavertail it it would end up at half-****, and B: with enough pressure I could push the hammer out of the cocked position into half-****.

EVERYBODY Ive talked to loves these RAI guns (they are technically still part of Armscorp, right?), and the fit and finish of this pistol was as nice as many Springfields and Kimbers ive shot, but this one defect was dangerous enough to prompt me to send it back. Good news is, their master armorer, Arnel, was very helpful in resolving the issue, and even walked me through a couple of things over the phone.

Shipped it back today, will post range report once I get it back in hand.

Hows everyone else like their RAI 1911's??

DS K.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just a had friend buy a Citadel 1911 A1 FS, at a local show last week and we got together to test it out, and for a lower priced 1911 i was impressed, we ran 300+ rounds thru it, factory and hand loads without and problems. The trigger was nice and the gun was on target. Im told they are built in the Phillipines on Colt machinery. I think the Charles Daly was also? I just ordered one, it should be in next week, Im looking foward to know how you make out with the one you have when you get it back.. I hope that isnt a common problem with them. thanks for any updates.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
While that outfit in the Phillipines has produce some rather crappy stuff over the years, the 1911 design is proving hard to mess up.

While considered a "good buy" at an average of $450, I'm sure someone is laughing all the way to the bank on that deal, then stopping by the country club to have lunch with the fella that imported $5 SKS rifles and sold them for $90.

I like them, but I think we are being overcharged just because Kimber and Colt are half the price of Wilson, etc...

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Citadel Range Report

Well, got her back from the factory a few days ago, took her out back in the pasture and put about 200 rounds of hardball downrange.

I would daresay this pistol holds up to my Kimber, which I also took out back with me. I normally carry a Kimber Pro TLE II, and shes a tack driver, smooth and reliable- and so is the citidel. At 25 meters I was keeping all my rounds in a 5 inch circle i drew on a peice of paper.

Fit is wonderful, very smooth, no rattle.

Accuracy, again- very acceptable and much of the time I was punching ragged holes.

Trigger pull- quite acceptable, not as smooth or crisp as the kimber, but more than adiquate at 4 lbs.

Reliabilty- 100% reliable, zero FTF or FTE (w/FMJ and JHP havent tried SWC yet)

This model has the front slide serrations, back strap checkering and novak style sights along with polished throat and feedramp. Im no stranger to 1911's and although this is my no means a Wilson Combat pistol, it is by far more value for the dollar Ive seen yet.

Sadly, my hammer follow issue was not fixed upon its return. Strange though, it did not happen once while I was firing (if it did, the weapon would be at half **** and the trigger would not move)

Id say the only real improvements Im going to do to this weapon are A: do a custom job on the sear, etc, and B: eventually put some tritium on her. Other than that, Im completly satisfied. Excellent pistol.

Oh yeah, and Armscore DOES make these pistols, thats who I sent it back to in Pahrump, Nevada to have it worked on. I also work part time at a gunshop and have looked for the hammer follow issue on a number of Citidel/RAI pistols and none of the others showed this deficiency.

DS K.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up. can't wait til the one I ordered shows up. for the money you can't beat it.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nightrocker,

Youre welcome- I couldnt recommend this pistol enough.

Haha, oh yeah, I was shooting off a fence post at this old rusted out 56' chevy.... I was able to keep nearly all my rounds on the hubcab AT 100 YARDS.

No, I am most certainly not full of BS, lol. This pistol looks great next to my M1A, haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts