M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have one of these marks in their barrel? I finally got my rifle complete, took it out to the range and got a few rounds through her. This is the problem child rifle that I'm sure some of you have seen me post before. Gave it a quick cleaning, and got a patch stuck in the bore. I use a otis pull through system and usually double up my patches. They are snug, but I had to really pull that sucker through. Don't think it is a brass mark, no brass could have rubbed it. Cleaned it again to make sure it wasn't brass that rubbed into the surface. Mark follows the helix of the rifling from the chamber to the muzzle. Lemme know what you think. Pics are from an endoscope, and my phone camera. Criterion chrome lined 1/12 twist. Machining mark that got chrome plated?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's the mark in the groove between lands. It is a distinctive line that follows the helix the entire length of the barrel

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I would use a PB Bore Brush ( they should be in the Otis kit ) & pull it through with it wetted with hopes #9 or other type bore solvent . Then run a Patch or two through it .

Were the marks there before you shot ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would use a PB Bore Brush ( they should be in the Otis kit ) & pull it through with it wetted with hopes #9 or other type bore solvent . Then run a Patch or two through it .

Were the marks there before you shot ?
There is my issue, I don't remember it being there, but it could have been.

·
Forum Jester
7,159 Posts
prob some parkerizing that leaked in

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got an AUG and spent a little time on Arfcom researching the switch by Steyr from chrome to nitride. I saw some of the barrels FN did for AUGs and ARs and your machining marks are NOTHING like what they pushed out the door. BTW, Daniel Defense makes beautiful barrels, at least internally, if you also have a poodle shooter.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
prob some parkerizing that leaked in
Chromium plated bore and chamber, Parkerizing solution will not do anything to the bore or chamber.

If the "tool marks" are parallel to the rifling they are a product of the manufacture, and should not be a problem. If they are perpendicular to the bore axis, you have cause for complaint.

And from the one image that is in focus, I don't see any thing that looks horrible.

·
Vendor
180 Posts
Quick note.

Correct in that it won't do anything measurable to the bore or chamber.

Parkerizing doesn't look like it does anything to the bore but it does. An example was FN production of the M249 some years back. A plant error left some barrels phosphated over the chrome. The phosphate penetrated the usuall micro cracks in the chrome and ate the substrate steel out from under the chrome slightly. The barrels suffered short life as firing burnt out under the chrome.

The lesson is that chromed barrels, like unchromed, need to be protected from phosphate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts