M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a M14. It is a half finished NM target rifle. It has a Chinese receiver, not mfg marked. Only marking is, the serial number on the left back above the wood line as shown.

Then below the wood line front left of the receiver is the same number again, except it has spaces in it as shown here.

This does not match with the threads I have read on Polytech or Norinco. Any ideas as too who made the receiver and when?

Most of the parts are TRW, except the flashider which I believe is a comerical, and larger than a normal one, and the barrel is a mid weight target barrel. I have not pulled the top cover yet to look at mfg on the barrel. Also has a lot of NM parts on it.

I have a ton of questions to ask as I check it out more, and I'll post more photos. Before this is over, you might ask me to leave.......GI2

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's definately a chinese receiver, probably norinco. Based on Different's database it was likely produced August of 1991. Some of the chinese receivers are totally unmarked except for the coding shown, it looks like someone had the "186316" engraved on the side later on.

·
Registered
999 Posts
It would appear to be what is considered to be a very early "Norinco" M14 receiver. The serial number engraving is as imported.

I have a few of these very early receivers, and I have found that they seem to be amongst the best of the Chinese M14 receivers to build.
These receivers, in my experience, seem to take USGI bolts with a minimum of lapping, and seem to have a much superior finish quality compared to some of the later Polytech and Norinco marked receivers that were imported into the USA.

In my experince with these early imported Chinese M14, they seem to have too little headspace as opposed to later imported Chinese M14 rifles whichseem to have too much headspace.

Always, always, always, check and confirm headspace and bolt lug contact on ANY Chinese M14 rifle before it is fired.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Yes, the forward side spread out numbers are indicative of what has previously been stated, Doc has early examples that are the same.

I seriously doubt anyone will want you to leave for getting your rifle figured out, you are welcome here. Ask away !

Good score, BTW.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what everybody is saying, is that the "Born on Date" was also used as the serial number?

That would mean that they could be a bunch of them that have the same serial number?

·
Registered
171 Posts
My serial number is different from the number under the stock.
My "stock" number is 3 3 31 48 7.

The info in the link may not right, but makes sense.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I do not believe that the "Lottery number" dating system works for these early receivers, but I could always be wrong.

Also, one other thing about these early imported, unmarked, except for serial number, receivers is that a few of them came into this country with their bolts entirely hard chromed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My serial number is different from the number under the stock.
My "stock" number is 3 3 31 48 7.

The info in the link may not right, but makes sense.
All mine has the the 2 numbers shown which are the same number. One stamped, and one engraved, one below woodline, one above. No other marking anywhere I can find.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The importer may assign serial numbers and just used that number, the last digits may change on each gun, like a manufacturer's serial number, or after yours they found more than one gun with the same numbers and changed the way the serials number are assigned.

Mine has the serial number on the side at the heel.

·
Registered
999 Posts
How do the heel stamped Norinco rifles fall in this time line? Are they early than this rifle or later?

Thanks
I am not sure on this, but I think that the Poly Tech heel stamped rifles came in shortly after the unmarked (except serial#) receiver rifles.

The Poly Tech heel stamped receiver are also very, very nice receivers.

Others out here know much more about the time lines than me.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I am not sure on this, but I think that the Poly Tech heel stamped rifles came in shortly after the unmarked (except serial#) receiver rifles.

The Poly Tech heel stamped receiver are also very, very nice receivers.

Others out here know much more about the time lines than me.
You're right, the heel stamped Poly Tech receivers are very, very nice when it comes to fit, finish, dimensions, & metallurgy.

Before retirement from the PD, I had unlimited access for several years to a GI TRW M14 and two H&R GI M-14s. In fact I kept the TRW at home and used it as my personal patrol rifle in my Crown Vic.

Many was the time that I closely compared my stripped down Poly Tech M-14/S receiver to one of the PD's M-14's when I stripped them down for detail cleaning.

The Poly Tech compared very favourably to the real deal GI M-14's when it came to fit, machine work and over all quality. I've long heard that the Poly Techs are as close in all of the areas that count, to a GI M-14, over any of the other commercially produced receivers. Which is why I bought a second heel stamped M-14/S when I found it in a pawn shop last October.

7th

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
All Chinese M14 receivers were made and complete rifles assembled at State Arsenal 356, Kunming, Yunnan, People's Republic of China.

Norinco M14 serial number 186316 was manufactured in August 1991.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
The Poly Technologies heel stamped M14 rifles imported by Keng's Firearms Specialty were the first Chinese M14 rifles brought into the United States. If it's marked IDE USA or CJA, it was imported after the November 30, 1990 ban. From that alone, don't assume an import date on any KFS and Century Arms International (CAI) marked Chinese M14 rifles. According to KFS, only 100 Poly Technologies M14 rifles were imported before the March 14, 1989 ban. And then there is the May 26, 1994 ban on Chinese firearms and ammunition in general.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
So what everybody is saying, is that the "Born on Date" was also used as the serial number?

That would mean that they could be a bunch of them that have the same serial number?
A few of the Century Arms International Norinco M14 Sporter rifles have serial numbers that match the "lotto" numbers. I've seen no instance of identical (twin) "lotto" numbers on Chinese M14 receivers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A few of the Century Arms International Norinco M14 Sporter rifles have serial numbers that match the "lotto" numbers. I've seen no instance of identical (twin) "lotto" numbers on Chinese M14 receivers.
Assuming that 186 is 6th Aug 1991, could the rest of the numbers be the 316th gun in that lot? That way they would all have a different serial number.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts