M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Working on my Polytech, & found a flaw in the op rod. On the inside radius, where the charging handle portion meets the spring cup, I found an UGLY, & poorly dressed weld, where the two halves are joined. I poked at it w/a pin, & determined there was a void, so I took my abrasive rod to the saddle area in an attempt to clean it or open it up. Well, the rod gave way to a file, & a quarter inch deep into the metal, there is still a conspicuous flaw, w/small cracks radiating from the void. Particularly distressing, since this rod was apparently arrow-straight, w/no binding, or hang-ups.

Needless to say, I'm not real happy about this, especially since I have been reading folks claims that the op rods are one thing the Chinese apparently got right. My question is, IF I ever get to solid metal, can this piece be saved? I have heard the taboo of rewelds, but I was under the impression that was in reference to joining two severed halves to make one unit? If this rod remains in one piece, can it be built up again, or is warpage the greater concern than alignment? Is temper or hardness an issue at this point on the op rod?

Much obliged,
Matt

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I don't know the answer to your welding question but if the op rod's working just fine at the present time... Why not just leave it as is and enjoy your rifle? I toohave always heard the Poly Techs op rods were good to go as is and that has been my experience. If you're interested in another Poly Tech op rod there's a member here that I just bought a take off Poly Tech barrel from who has several op rods if you're interested...

7th

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7th,

That was my initial thought as well, but then I got to wondering, "Just exactly what happens when an op rod lets go?" Didn't know if it would simply buckle, & fold up like a paperclip, or (more likely - knowing MY luck) separate, & launch the rear section like a speargun through my noggin? The deeper I filed looking for clean metal, the more thankful I became for investigating further. If it turns out a precision welder can salvage it, all the better that I get it done while it's still in one piece & the correct shape, rather than digging bent & mangled pieces outta my cranium & trying to reassemble them.

Can you PM me w/the info about the other forum member w/the spares. I'll check in w/him, as well.

Much obliged,
Matt

·
Registered
448 Posts
a good welder can repair your op rod but it would be cheeper to buy a replacment and trash your old one
i just bought a poly op rod for $70 shipped the welding and heat treating will be much higher

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks bmg,

I figgered that would probably be the eventual outcome. Any leads on smokin' deals for Chinese op rods will be appreciated - from ANYone.

Much obliged,
Matt

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The PX...

has had Chinese parts from time to time...you might get lucky with a replacement from someone else's upgrade.
Bruce

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks,

Every time I visit the PX, it tells me there are no posts. Do they get removed that quickly, or do I need to know the secret handshake to gain access?

Much obliged,
Matt

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
7th,

That was my initial thought as well, but then I got to wondering, "Just exactly what happens when an op rod lets go?" Didn't know if it would simply buckle, & fold up like a paperclip, or (more likely - knowing MY luck) separate, & launch the rear section like a speargun through my noggin? The deeper I filed looking for clean metal, the more thankful I became for investigating further. If it turns out a precision welder can salvage it, all the better that I get it done while it's still in one piece & the correct shape, rather than digging bent & mangled pieces outta my cranium & trying to reassemble them.

Can you PM me w/the info about the other forum member w/the spares. I'll check in w/him, as well.

Much obliged,
Matt
I just sent a PM to both you and Ctkid with email address for the Poly Tech op rods...

7th Fleet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts