M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on picking up one of the chinese M14 barrels that Northridge has for $75. My question is, what parts will I need to have to complete a build that are chinese specific? Am I correct in assuming I will need chinese parts from the gas cylynder forward?? Or will I need others?

Thanks in advance........

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
As Hawk said, you'll need a chinese castle nut, but you'll also need a Chinese gas cylinder lock. Both of those parts have metric threads.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
hehe, NP Hawk. ;)

I'm not sure, but I've gotten the impression that there might be a problem putting a Chinese barrel on an American receiver. Something about the inside ledge that the bolt face sits on being too shallow.

I know that replacing the Chinese barrel on a Poly conversion relieves the majority of any headspace or bolt fit problems.

Lawdog734 should ask someone like Clayton or Ron Smith about this.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Anonymous said:
Ok, so just to get this straight, all I need are the 2 chinese parts (castle nut and gas cylinder lock) and everything else can be USGI??
Yup, that's it.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I think Kuhnhausen's manual states that the thread pitch on the Chinese rear sight knobs is different from the USGI rear sight knobs. So, it sounds like you should use all American parts or all Chinese parts for the rear sight. He also states that the Chinese marked the windage knobs as WCE.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Chinese barrel question

This is john Ca, I forgot my password or something. The threads for the Castle nut on the chicoms are so close that a US GI one will work. The Gas cylinder lock on the other hand will have to be chicom. Check Sorco for that, They have some chicom parts and I think the gas cyl. plug is one of those.

·
Treadhead
368 Posts
azski said:
Here ya go. Just open this link and scroll down to the info on barrels. It should answer all your questions.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/gen_info.htm

azski
BARRELS
USGI or U.S. Several USGI and commercial makers are available. USGI barrels have Chrome lined barrels and can provide very good accuracy. Most commercial barrels are not chrome lined and are going to be of match grade. Barrel accuracy can vary and it does not matter who the maker is. If the barrel is bad it is just bad.
CHINESE Equivalent to USGI barrels. There are two metric threads on the barrel, one for the "Gas Cylinder Lock" and one for the "Castle Nut". The Castle Nut threads are very close to U.S. threads and can be converted, but the Gas Cylinder Lock threads are too fine. We have Clients getting 1" groups with these barrels. They are generally very good barrels, but like U.S. barrels, you can get a lemon.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Chinese barrels...........

I mic'd the surfaces on my Chinese, but it's been a while........

it seemed as if the USGI flash hider would work with some peening and the of course the metric castle nut.......

from memory the gas cylinder power surface was really close to GI spec

from memory the op rod guide was too large and would have to be turned down or the op rod guide bored......

shoulders were very close , too, to USGI specs

Oh well..........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.