M14 Forum banner

Check out this bolt tell me what you think

2630 Views 26 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  tnw50cal

welded at one time?

how about this barrel, anybody know who makes it?

Was sold to me as a Criterion barrel and nothing was mentioned about being a demilled bolt with a welded face

need some opinions before making the call

I believe it is a Fulton barrel but who made it

Thanks
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Pics are hard, looks like a crack from fpin to eject hole? Is fpin hole round? Post pics of top of lock lugs?

· Registered
480 Posts
Bolt is most certainly a reweld

excellent picts by the way!
JD called this one correctly. It almost looks like the weld was "blobbed" around the face. Least he could of done is tell you (the one selling it) what he knows but I feel he'll plead ignorance.

· Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JD called this one correctly. It almost looks like the weld was "blobbed" around the face. Least he could of done is tell you (the one selling it) what he knows but I feel he'll plead ignorance.
blobbed around the face like this? this is a typical demill,

dont know how he'll plead ignorance? he would know better if anyone would, I'm almost certian he would have been the one to repark it,
I dont want to mention any names till I give him a chance to make it right

Thanks guys

· Registered
2,314 Posts
That bolt face does not look right.

· Registered
472 Posts
I have seen rings similar to this around the firing pin hole on usgi bolts about the size of the primer before.
This was long before the welded drill rifle bolts hit the market. I believe some of these is from erosion,I did and might still have a bolt like this in my spare parts box.
I am not saying yours is from erosion or not,but it could be.
The barrel is a Fulton made by Criterion.There should be a pic just like yours on thier website.

I will look through my bolts and see if I still have one with the ring.
I will bet that my pics will look nowhere near as good as yours!

On second thought yours does look like it was welded and remachined.I see a little difference in the color of the park around the face.

· Premium Member
22,451 Posts
Looks like a demilled bolt to me. Very uneven ring + blob appearance.

Shame on the CMP for selling these things on the open market. :(

Or any other demilled /welded parts...

JWB
Don't believe CMP had anything to do with this. I do think the SHAME belongs somewhere else. Perhaps for injecting their name.
Semper Fi
Art

· Registered
480 Posts
blobbed around the face like this? this is a typical demill,

dont know how he'll plead ignorance? he would know better if anyone would, I'm almost certian he would have been the one to repark it,
I dont want to mention any names till I give him a chance to make it right

Thanks guys
See in your picture the "outer ring" of the weld to the face where the case sits. The original post picture looks like someone took a endmill & flat bottomed it, then drilled the firing pin out. Then there's that crack that runs from the pin hole to the outer edge. As for the "park" on that face, well it looks mighty thin, like it only took a little of the park. Even then, if it is erroded it is certainly hard not to say this bolt is also worn well at the lugs. Like lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig (park being lipstick). Either way I do not see getting much life from it, but then again it's my oppinion. I would not want to go thru the expense after 1-2K of rounds then have to redo the bolt-barrel match up $$$$.

· Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all,

I've seen pitting from erosion on garand bolts also but mostly more of a uniform circle in the primer area

nothing to do with the CMP as far as i know

Lugs seem good to me, in fact it probably needs some lapping as it will not quite close on a GO gauge, thus the reason for my inquiry, I dont want to start lapping a bolt and have it need to be changed within an unreasonable amount of time

I was told it was, in the sellers words

"criterian barrel
headspaced to Nato MIn 1.6355
complete bolt"

am I too concerned about the bolt face all together?

will it be safe to shoot the way it is, not quite closing on a 7.62 GO gauge? (gauge is relieved in the ejector area)
When the park wears will it gauge better?
Start with .308 ammo?
I put in a Lake City round with the powder drilled out and same thing not quite closing with a complete lock up on the gauge,

Dont get me wrong, I am very happy with the product, just a bit concerned for the bolt face and headspace

· Registered
2,442 Posts
1st let me say that because of liability reasons the shop i work for will NOT even consider the use of a demilled bolt in ANY rifle.......... I personally don't have a problem using 1 that's been LIGHTLY welded.... I dug thru a pile of about 30 or 40 bolts & out of that pile i found 4 like new bolts that had extremely small welds, roughly about the size of a primer...... When you buy a re-worked demill you have NO IDEA how large the weld area was & consequently how large the heat affected zone was..... Some bolts are heavily welded & you can clearly see discoloration on the locking lugs of bolts like these so you can bet their HT has been compromised - For these reasons i would never consider using a demilled bolt unless i re-worked it myself

· Registered
3,621 Posts
Here is what I would do to start. Dissasemble the bolt, sandblast it. I think you should be able to tell a lot more about it. These digital camers and the macro setting have a way of making small defect look real big. Personally I wouldn't chance having any bolt that is questionable in any of my rifles. It's just not worth it. Are you trying to get the seller to refund your money? It looks like you bought it as a package? If it were me I would probably chalk it up to the price of experience. (see my signature) If the seller refunds your money he likely will sell it to some other unsuspecting person. For me; The buck would stop with me. I wouldn't use it or allow it to go back into circulation if it is suspect.

If it does turn out to be a weld up bolt I hope this will put the nailin the coffin about using them. If that is a crack it is a result of the weld making the metal brittle. End of story.

I would be interested and willing to sandblast it and perform some hardness test on it for you.(no charge) Let me know.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.