M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Texas AG Accuses Cheaper Than Dirt of Price Gouging

No surprise for most of us. They do this anytime there is an opportunity.

Really shouldn't be necessary to do anything. Just stop buying from them and they would go out of business.

Simple.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
On the one hand I give kudos to Texas for trying to get these guys in their pocket book.
But, I can understand the gouging concept when it involves bottled water , gas, and other goods that are life sustaining in a crisis such as a hurricane.

But bullets when there is no immediate natural disaster going seems like a stretch to me.

·
Registered
651 Posts
if I buy gold today at 1800 and three months later it goes up to 3000 and I decide to sell am I price gouging ?
or going with the market ?
same thing with ammo last year 9mm was
200 dollars a thousand , 223/5.56 was 300-350 a thousand rds , if I sell for current at 700-750 a thousand am I gouging ? or going with the current market ?
CTD went with the market and didn't give a damn about customer base . let them loose the business and go under , but I don't think they should be taken to task.
its not food or water or medicine or gas to get those things. that would be something the lawdogs can go after.
there has been 3 ammo runs in the last 8 years when will people wake up .
this is my own personal opinion / free enterprise USA

·
Registered
202 Posts
an excerpt from the article:

"The AG’s office identified over 4,000 sales that involved price gouging and has directed Cheaper Than Dirt to pay $402,786 in refunds to consumers, according to court documents filed this month. "

I am from Texas and have done business with CTD several times during the lulls in their astronomical price spikes. I bought hundreds of HK91 mags when aluminum mags were .99 and metal ones were $1.99 each. Sold them for 5 -10 bucks each later. Gouging!
Our dip**** AG has been in legal trouble from the time he came into office and does this stuff to take the spotlight off of himself pretty regularly.
This excerpt indicated that a company had some objects for sale that weren't necessary for carrying on life. Customers saw the prices before purchasing them. They purchased anyway. Now a politician wants the spotlight again and is attempting to bully them into refunds. Total BS in my opinion. I doubt it will fly.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Went to the fun store today. Picked up a new M&P shield 9mm for the wife. I would say the pistol was a good price. $479 with 5 magazines. The ammo? All I can say is wow. They wanted $65 for a single box of 9mm 124g fmj and $699 for a 500 count of same ammo. No thank you

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,895 Posts
I don’t have a problem with CTD. It’s called capitalism. Demand sets the price.
Except when they were selling AR mags for $129.99 each or whatever it was.

I vowed to quit buying from them forever when they did that, I think it was after Sandy Hook in 2012. I thought they'd be out of business by now, but enough fickle gun owners must've kept buying from them to keep them going.
m14brian

·
Registered
41 Posts
Most of the time, when I buy something, I know exactly what its worth. If I think a price too high, I don't get upset at the guy asking, I pass.

What pissed me off about CTD, was them cancelling orders post-Sandy Hook and then having the same product still available for the new, higher price.

A mans word should be honored.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
On the one hand I give kudos to Texas for trying to get these guys in their pocket book.
But, I can understand the gouging concept when it involves bottled water , gas, and other goods that are life sustaining in a crisis such as a hurricane.

But bullets when there is no immediate natural disaster going seems like a stretch to me.
When you really need ammo, say for instance when the festivities start, at the culmination of a five year coup to dispose a sitting president and hijack an election, there will be NONE to be had.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
There are corporate leeches in every business. It's up to us to not support those companies and put them out of said business. -Lloyd 🍻

Reactions: ColdWarGrunt

·
Registered
217 Posts
The real question we should all be asking is where is all the ammo and components going? For instance I like Berrys plated bullets. If you go to their website they’ll tell you we are out of stock but making them as fast as possible. Great. Then why isn’t there a single box showing up on their website or at any of the big distributors for months?

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Its going to the community. Everyone is on back order notifications so it is sold before it even hits the shelf. You got people at the gun stores 8 hours before they open. You got people at the trucks as soon aa they drop the ramp. You guys think its bad now this is nothing literally compared to what is going to happen next month.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Ammo supply wise the video from the Fed. / CCI main guy summed it up for me.

Many Millions of new gun owners overwhelmed the already working at max system.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Really shouldn't be necessary to do anything. Just stop buying from them and they would go out of business.

Simple.
I don't really understand why everyone gets in a flap over CTD and their prices. No one is FORCED to buy anything from them... or anyone else for that matter. If you pay $100 for a USGI 30rd AR mag, well... you must have really wanted it, for whatever reason, but you were NOT gouged.

FWIW, I used to have one of their retail stores near me... I bought quite a bit of stuff from them, but just like I do with Cabelas, Bass Pro, Academy... or whoever... I shopped the price vs value to me and either I bought it, or I did not. One of my Kahr CW9's came from them, and the most money I ever spent on a pistol, for a Kimber 1911... I bought at CTD in Fort Worth.

There are a lot of things to get upset about in this world... CTD's prices isn't one of them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts