M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
Research, still the best game in town anymore...

What do you guys like?
I use....... DI5

German DAG or MEN surplus
Radway Green surplus
Australian surplus
Portuguese surplus
Belgium surplus
Bosnian surplus
South African surplus
Santa Barbra surplus
Argentine surplus
Austria surplus
Greek surplus
Singapore surplus
Israeli surplus
Yugoslavia surplus
Malaysian surplus
Lithuanian surplus
Venezuelan surplus
Denmark, surplus
Canadian, surplus
Chilean, surplus
Pakistan surplus
Indonesian surplus

For non-cheap target ammunition I use Lake City M852, M118 & M118LR.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts

·
Retired Admin
19,130 Posts
Reactions: Conman

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did that. Thanks for doing it. Looks great. I just got this M1a and am trying to find a starting point. Guess I'll buy a few of each and see how they shoot. I know I gonna start reloading though!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
What do you guys like?
My local WalMart has ammo on sale occasionally. It varies...here's what I have found over the last few months.
Federal 150g soft point .308 - $13.37 a box
Remington 150g fmj .308 - $17.97 a box (of 40 rounds!!)
Winchester 147g fmj 7.62x51 - $13.97 a box
Academy has some occasional deals...but I have to get there about delivery time....308/7.62x51 seem to go fast. Monarch is their house brand and the box cost seems to vary quite a bit from week to week.
I have a local Cheaper Than Dirt that I buy from also...I can pick it up and pay no shipping.

The on-line sources mentioned here are good also. Just balance the number of rounds and shipping costs vs buying locally.

·
Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
My 2 Cents

Surplus FMJ is the cheapest thing going. Like 24 says, there is no substitute for field experience and your rifle will tell you what it likes best thru some "quality time".

My M1A's both LOVE Radway Green, CAVIM, HIRT, PORT, Germen MEN or DAG, Malaysian.

Stay away from the steel cased Russian stuff (Bear, Wolf, Tula, etc)...mine HATES the steel cases and won't feed more than 6 or 7 in a row....like feeding a dead armadillo carcass rotting in the summer sun to your favorite uncle...

look at 24's list, find something you can afford, get it quick, shoot it at the range, keep records, find out what it likes, back up the truck and get as much as you can PAINFULLY afford.

If the large writing in the sky is any indication, the sun is about to set on these golden years of semi-affordable 7.62 x 51 FMJ surplus.

·
Registered
689 Posts
"the sun is about to set on these golden years of semi-affordable 7.62 x 51 FMJ surplus. "

About to set??? It's like midnight already............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.