M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently purchased a SA Loaded M1a and have 140 rounds through it thus far. The rifle is superb, however I do have a couple general questions.

Is it normal for the charging handle to get dinged up after a few rounds?

Also, is this the resonating "ping" sound I hear after every round, the case hitting the charging handle?

I know they don't stay new forever but it's a little disheartening after only 140 rounds, see attached pics.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
If you use a standard copper remover that is designed for cleaning the bore it will remove those marks. I recommend using a cleaner that you can leave on for a while (more than 15 minutes) and then let it sit. Let the chemical do the work. After a couple of hours they should wipe off. I've never tried one but they make cloths that you can use for removing copper, you might try one of those. Just about any rifle cleaner will get them off eventually, some just take longer than others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you use a standard copper remover that is designed for cleaning the bore it will remove those marks. I recommend using a cleaner that you can leave on for a while (more than 15 minutes) and then let it sit. Let the chemical do the work. After a couple of hours they should wipe off. I've never tried one but they make cloths that you can use for removing copper, you might try one of those. Just about any rifle cleaner will get them off eventually, some just take longer than others.
Thanks for the advice, I'm currently using Remington Bore Bright solvent I'm sure this will most likely work.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet"
It is in fact an Op Rod But then again it , If I think about it is a Charging Handle
And I like the marks on it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will use operating rod from here on out.

Not to change the subject but anyone use Federal American Eagle150 gr FMJBT ammo? I found a great deal on it about $.65 a round for 200 rounds shipped to my door. $.6 a round before shipping.

How does this round compare to the 168 gr American Eagle M1A round? I know the price is considerably better, though the 168 gr round is match grade.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Don't feel bad about the terminology. It's different from weapon to weapon in the DoD. For example, the M60 also has an operating rod, but it's manually "operated" by the "Cocking lever". On the M2, it's the "Retracting Slide Assembly" that you manually operate the action. On the Mk. 19 they are called "Charger Assemblies". We all know what you mean. Now, if you call a magazine a "clip", on the other hand, then we got problems... LOL1

Reactions: sjstill

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,835 Posts
The term operating rod relates to the connection between the gas system and the bolt. The operating rod is the direct link that makes the rifle function. A charging handle on the other hand only allows the bolt to be opened by hand and serves no other function. It is understandable that folks who grew up with the M16 system are more inclined to recognize any part related to the opening of the bolt as a charging handle. No big deal.
I clean the bras marks off my op rod with a little WD40 and very fine steel wool. It works for me. Just don't rub too hard so as not to remove any of the finish.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Will use operating rod from here on out.

Not to change the subject but anyone use Federal American Eagle150 gr FMJBT ammo? I found a great deal on it about $.65 a round for 200 rounds shipped to my door. $.6 a round before shipping.

How does this round compare to the 168 gr American Eagle M1A round? I know the price is considerably better, though the 168 gr round is match grade.
I get considerably better accuracy with the 168 compared to the 150s. YMMV

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.