M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys would do about chapped lips? I remember being in Iraq and having them. After a while I learned to keep chapstik on me, one in my bag, at the bottom of a mag pouch, and one in my camel bak. I hated having chapped lips. I've used vaseline before but seems like it doesnt work as good as the tube brand. Should I just stock up or what???

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I would suggest just stocking up on it. For some people rubbing the lips with beeswax works.

HH

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
An old cowboy fresh off the trail walks into a saloon and steps up to the bar...
Dusty and windblown, sun-burned face and chapped lips...
He reaches down into the spittoon with a finger and comes up with a big glob of tobacco juice and spit and carefully applies it to his lips...
The greenhorn standing at the bar next to him asks:
"Mister? Does that stuff really help chapped lips?"
The old cowboy says:
"Not really, but it sure as hell keeps me from licking them!!!"

GITEN

CAVman in WYOMING!

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
Chapped lips in the Book of Ely

Chapped lips seemed to be a concern in the post apocalyptic world depicted in the movie the Book of Ely. Denzel tries to trade some fresh cat grease for lip balm in exchange for a recharge of his little wet cell battery.

I have Carmex in my TA-50 and BOB.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nothing compares to CARMEX! I've tried them all, even Badger Balm and Bag Balm. Plastic Carmex squeeze tube fits in the pocket the best. I farm and run heavy equipment and am exposed to the elements a lot. Vaseline is the last resort if my lips are just about to catch fire.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Agreed! Some are better than others, but any lip balm/chapstick it better than nothing at all. I also prefer CARMEX, bit also use Chapstick, Blistex, Bag Balm or petroleum jelly if I can't get my Carmex fix. In my duty bag and my BOB I keep several Chapsticks. This last Christmas I placed Chapsticks in all our stockings. It went over big and everyone is using them.

As an aside, sunscreen is also poplular around here as I'm a sun weenie and burn easily, especially my naked pate. Some of these 'convenience' items can really make your time in the field much more bearable.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
an old cowboy fresh off the trail walks into a saloon and steps up to the bar...
He reaches down into the spittoon with a finger and comes up with a big glob of tobacco juice and spit and carefully applies it to his lips...
"mister? Does that stuff really help chapped lips?"
the old cowboy says:
"not really, but it sure as hell keeps me from licking them!!!"

giten

cavman in wyoming!
eeeuuuuwwww!

Cx

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
An old cowboy fresh off the trail walks into a saloon and steps up to the bar...
"Mister? Does that stuff really help chapped lips?"
The old cowboy says:
"Not really, but it sure as hell keeps me from licking them!!!"

GITEN

CAVman in WYOMING!
Darn, you beat me to it.

On the serious side, chapped lips is something I don't seem to have a problem with. Not sure why.

·
Read Only
2,559 Posts
Lips get chapped when you get dehydrated too.
With that said, I keep a tube of Chapstik in a pocket of every jacket, pack, and utility belt I own, with extras in spots all over the house.

Good stuff.

·
Registered
79 Posts
chapped lips

Try and find lip balm w/ no petroleum products. Chap-stik makes my lips even more dry, I have to keep a stick in my pocket at all times. Make sure it has spf in it too. The brand I use is called "kiss my face". Made with all organic ingredients, and spf 15. Check out kissmyface.com. Made in the USA! Being a surfer has taken a toll on my skin, (being fair skinned doesn't help) Happy shootin! GI6

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've been using Chapstick since I was a kid. I have 5 things I load into my pockets every morning. Money Clip, Wallet, Comb (at least for awhile longer), knife and......Chapstick. My wife put a packet of 5 tubes in my stocking but they had all these funny flavors. I didn't know whether to put it on my lips or eat it. I just like the old "classic" as I'm too old to change now. DI5

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have had the tube style lip balm melt in my pocket on hot days...

So now I use the Carmex in the little bottle.

I have never had the bottle leak in my pocket or baggage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts