M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I polished the sear and disconector on my poly m14s to smooth out he trigger pull. The polish job worked well and I was able to shoot a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards (with win 168gr match BTHP supported). I wanted to know if there was a way to lighten te trigger pull, on the rigger group.
MB

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
there is, but you had better know what you are doing as if it becomes too much you'll have a hair trigger and you'll end up payin more to have the parts changed and the job done right by a professional.... I would check with Warbird or Ted Brown both whom are members here....

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
All the manuals I have read state 4 1/2 lbs. is the lightest the pull should be set on an M1/M14 type rifle. Lower weight of pull will usually result in double firing. Also, NRA rules for High Power Competition state the trigger pull cannot be less than 4 1/2 lbs., if you plan on entering any matches.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I NEVER worried about the weight. What I liked to do was take out all the creep and drag.

military triggers basically suck when it comes to shooting tight with the double stage effect.
I'd rather pull 8 pounds a fraction of an inch then 3 pounds through the full standard travel.

·
Banned
611 Posts
I'd leave it to people like warbird or fulton armory if I were you. People with experience and INSURANCE! We went to school or learned under very experienced gunsmiths to do them right. It takes a lot of practice!
I do them too but no insurance OR ffl till next month due to moving. There's a lot more to a trigger job than polishing the trigger and sear. It can go full auto on you in a hurry if you get one little thing wrong. It's not worth the risk for a home gunsmith to try.
Unless you have a nice range all by yourself in the middle of a 10,000 acre ranch where noone else can get hurt when it goes machine gun. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
m14dan said:
I'd leave it to people like warbird or fulton armory if I were you. People with experience and INSURANCE! We went to school or learned under very experienced gunsmiths to do them right. It takes a lot of practice! :mrgreen:
Insurance ?? :? What's that ?? :roll:
Just Kidding guys. :lol:

Always check the fit between the stock and trigger group.
Check the function.
Even if someone else does the work for ya. This is a must.

Always try out the trigger before shooting so ya know how it feels and get used to it.
Also, if you do it yourself, load 1 round and shoot.
Then 2 rounds and shoot.
If all is well, load 3 rounds and shoot.
Stop if you have any problems at all.

·
Registered
846 Posts
if you rae not worried about having a match legal trigger smith enterprise has listed an adjustable design in their price lists before and springfield has come out with what they call the rader trigger. it is $$$ about 300 IIRC.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
m14dan said:
I do them too but no insurance OR ffl till next month due to moving. There's a lot more to a trigger job than polishing the trigger and sear. It can go full auto on you in a hurry if you get one little thing wrong. It's not worth the risk for a home gunsmith to try.
:mrgreen:
Plus, if you have a professional do the job, it won't turn sour in a few hundred rounds.

Ty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.