M14 Forum banner

Changing the Flash Suppressor

896 2
I have a year old M1A and I wanted to install a older pre-ban flash suppressor so I can use a USGI Brake. As you guys know the gov. issue brake mounts to the Bayo lug. My question is--- does changing the suppressor to a pre-ban one have legal complications. I have to know before I decide to buy the Brake .............SP/4 Twiggy
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Twiggy, if the M1A rifle is in the United States of America it is a violation of federal law to put a pre-'94 ban M14 flash suppressor on a post-'94 ban M1A because of the bayonet lug. The "Assault Weapon" provisions of this law, the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, will expire / sunset / die at midnight on September 13, 2004. IF no new legislation prohibiting such activity is enacted (passes Congress and signed by the President) then on September 14, 2004 you will be able to do what you describe.

You are talking about the USGI M14E2 muzzle stabilizer I presume. It works well but every 1000 rounds you need to clean the carbon out. I have one on my NFA registered select fire M1A. :D

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Remove the side wings from the lug making it unable to support a bayonet. The rear of the altered lug should support your compensator. I don't believe there is a OABLAABL, once a bayonet lug always a bayonet lug ordnance.

Regards

Ox

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.