M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone, or does anyone re-tread re-tap, not sure of the verbiage to use when speaking to mechanist, so this is my point best I can say it, is there anyway to put a USGI gas system on a chicom barrel so we can use the NM Sadlak or any other NM spec pistons on a good shooting chicom barrel, I realize the chicom gas system tread is metric that's why I ask" has anyone or does anyone" just a question or something to think about..

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Yep!

Easy way is to use USGI parts, but use the original Chinese gas lock.
BTDT DOZENS OF TIMES.

The new Canadian import M14 rifles too often have gas tubes bored at an angle to the barrel. Swapping over a GI gas assembly usually is easy BUT the clearances at the gas port between ID of the gas assembly.and OD of the barrel is supposed to be TIGHT. IF GAS LEAKS HERE YOU CAN GET RELIABILITY ISSUES.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I've done it on three of my four Polytech M-14s and it's a piece of cake when using a USGI gas tube assembly. I don't throw the take off parts away and save them for spare parts down the road. If the rifles were working fine with them when I took them off there's no reason why they won't work again at some point when needed. But that's just me and I want GI parts on all of my M-14 clones. Thus far I have a TRW and a USGI Springfield Poly and the third is a mix master of GI Springfield, TRW, & HR parts.

7th

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
i believe holes are tapped for threads and barrels have threads cut

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
SEI overhauled my Poly. Among other things installing their Crazy Horse barrel but retaining the Poly gas system. I've never heard of the reverse; that is keeping the Chinese barrel but installing a GI gas system. Can't see why it would be an issue though. You WOULD have to use a Chinese Gas Lock however!

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I would just stick with the stock system unless it's messed up some how. You will not gain any notable accuracy by switching to a nm piston. Not with that barrel anyways.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx for the info, think I will try a USGI GS and use my chicom gas lock, my poly is an early 80,s, want to see if it works out..

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Change barrels. I am scrapping most of my Chinese stuff minus receiver and op-rod for USGI.
I've always felt the Poly barrels were pretty decent barrels! As Different notes in his book, the Chinese have a lot of experience with the chrome plating process. I've not had an issue with them (other than the metric threads at the gas lock and castle nut).

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My Polytech ended up as all USGI. Used a SAK barrel and op rod. Lapped in a TRW bolt.
The bare receiver was the only thing Chinese I kept. Threw the chew wood stock in the trash but kept all the Chinese parts.
The Polytech receiver is nicely machined, rivals forged USA made and the Sadlak scope mount lined right up.
I guess that's why I went the long way around......but it's tight grouping shooter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts