M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a post ban non threaded KBI BBL with just shy of 1500 rounds down the tube. I built this on an A2 upper. My intention is to send it off to Compass Lake Engineering to thread the end of the bbl for a flash hider(no longer in NY thank god) and use the bbl to build a scoped flattop upper. Here is my conundrum, I will have to have the rifle extension changed to an M4 extension and I think this has the potential to change the headspace. I have a brand new KBI bbl with an M4 extension. Do I just put the A2 upper back together and sell it and use the new bbl to build the new match rifle.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Just get another spare upper for the new barrel. 😁

·
Super Moderator
11,544 Posts
I'd shoot out the barrel first, then buy a new threaded barrel. I think un-threaded barrels shoot better anyway. People use 11˚ target crowns for a reason. And I hate cleaning carbon off of threaded barrel crowns. WIth my Shilen, I just hit it with a dab of carbon remover on a Q-tip and I'm done.

I've embraced the non-threaded look.

Tony.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Whoever does the barrel work may be able to cut the M4 feedramps on the existing barrel extension. You won't know unless you ask.

Reactions: 82nd ABN

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Timing the extension should not be that hard. I am in the process of installing new extension in old M4 Colt barrels. The breach is too worn making the headspace too big. I have gotten some dozens of hardened extensions from Numrich back in the day. They are in the white but hardened.

Reactions: 82nd ABN

·
Registered
928 Posts
Warren, I’ve seen many guys use rifle ramps on flat tops, not the best combination but it seems to work, I’d send it to Frank and don’t worry about it, he’s the man when it comes to barrel work on AR types.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have cleaned 600 with a Kreiger that had a logged 13,000rds. through it. 200-8X. I pulled the barrel after the match because the X count was low. Admittedly, it was an exceptional barrel to have lasted that long. My general rule is 3,000 for Wilson, KBI, etc., 5,000 for a Kreiger unless it is really performing well. Any of these barrels would probably shoot well on a 200yd reduced course even longer. Every barrel is slightly different and barrel life depends on a number of factors.

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I decided that I am simply going to have the bbl threaded, put a FH on it and reinstall it on the A2 upper. It was born an A2 and shall die an A2. Two years ago I ordered a replacement BBL from KBI and it has an M4 extension. I have another preban A2NM with 20 rounds on it. I even think I have a stripped A2 upper in the safe as well as a couple of lower's. I can't keep up with all the stuff I have laying around. So I am going to use the new bbl on the flat top upper and call it a day. I also ordered another bbl from KBI they said the lead time is now 16 to 18 months. I guess I will either build another lower or just have a spare upper, I have no clue maybe I will thin the heard. I just despise parting with these items. I am sure many of you can relate. I will just have to tighten things up in the safe or get a bigger safe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts