M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a M14.ca scout hand guard in the PX. When reassembling I put the gas system back on just how it came off. When I tightened down the gas lock the timing was WAY off. To address the bad timing I disassembled and positioned the SHG so that it timed properly (5:30). Also there is now some added tension on the barrel where it seems to sit above the stock about 1/4" at the heel. It never had proper tension before...

Question: Can or should I used the SHG to change the gas lock timing?

Thx!

N

· Registered
1,028 Posts
Most likely reinstalled the gas lock on the opposite side you originally had. Remove gas lock flip it over reinstall and see how it times.

· Banned
1,640 Posts
What he said above. By the way I may be wrong but that gas lock is expressed as clocked...not timed... Timing is the cycle of the action in relationship to ammo feed, timing is related to the m1 garand not M14:
Block
TOP:
US RIFLE CAL 30 M1icon & M1C RIFLE
ASSEM 7265698 7265699 TIMING
7319920 B (in a slightly larger font)

RIGHT SIDE:
MUST NOT RELEASE (on the large flat surface below the notch)

MUST RELEASE (on the small flat surface above the notch that protrudes)

To use, simply push in just like you would load a clip of ammo, but more slowly. The bolt SHOULD NOT release before the block has been inserted to the depth of the notch.

However, the bolt SHOULD release when you get to the notch. The protrusion above the notch keeps you from inserting it any further.

· Super Moderator
12,479 Posts
The scout handguard should not contact the front band at all, nor the receiver face. The SHG has no front band lip so it should have no bearing on how the front band and gas lock install.

Remove the scout handguard, then install the gas cylinder like you normally would. Then install the handguard and make sure it doesn't contact the front band nor the receiver face. If you can't get the forward clamps installed, then just install the back two to establish a good fore and aft position, then take off your gas cylinder to install the forward clamp and reinstall the gas cylinder after the clamp is on.

The button head screws on the barrel clamps can sometimes contact the stock, and I suspect this is happening which is why your receiver heel is sitting off the stock and requires pressure to seat. Get a Dremel and clear areas on top of the stock where the screws touch until there's no interference.

See timestamp 12:45 of this video for reference...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1onD0jZoqs&feature=gp-n-y&google_comment_id=z12turbjrq3hzzejz04ccd4rpznzhhx5rio[/ame]

Tony.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all,
I had watched Tony's video above as well as the video on gas system shimming. I did make sure the lock was not flipped and was therefore surprised at the change in "timing". Could my old hand guard have been contacting the front band?

Anyways, sounds like I need to try it again and see if I can't get a better result.

Tony,
If my stock didn't have good tension to begin with should I not dremel around the screw heads? Is there a better way to get proper front band tension without a glass bedding job? I found your inspection vid #2 very helpful btw.

Thanks again to all.
v/r
Griff

· Registered
171 Posts
Sorry the install on my SHG didn't go as planned :-( Was this the first time you took the gas cylinder off? Mine never went back on to the same alignment as the factory after the first time I removed it. I ended up shimming things to correct the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.